Show us your Tokai road warrior - genuine - wear and tear.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barks67

Reaction score
Following on from my little restoration thread ( http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21855 ) this is to get some discussions going - aside from "what model is this" - amongst long time users and lovers of these great instruments.

It'll be interesting to see what others have been up to - so please share.

*Only self inflicted - real by you :)*

SCRATCH THE ABOVE - GENUINE PLAYER WEAR!

Old Red:

Dingalicious:

The business end from rock n roll belt buckles:

Strap and dodgy stand rash:

Headstock (micro glued) split:

Misalignment as a result but still works as it should:

Pick holder, and damage from collision with a Precision Bass tuning peg (painted with wife's nail varnish :) ) :

Another place of impact damage:

Switch tip:

Barks67 said:
It'll be interesting to see what others have been up to - so please share.

Only self inflicted - real by you :)

I have one with some wear and tear, but it was caused by someone else. So the ?self inflicted? rules me out. :D

Does dust count? The closest I get to road-wear are a couple decent dings on the SG (although it was bought with them). Not even sure how the previous owner managed.

I do hate reliq'ed guitars with passions - but I see nothing wrong with it occuring naturally! It only shows that it has been played a lot, which is what the instruments are made for :)

IMG_4568.jpg
[/img]

Nice,

Ok maybe It's a little tricky with the self inflicted - so maybe genuine user wear (non fake distressed) that shows it was "unputdownable" as an instrument.

And Marcus, note that there are no current pictures of me in the above as they are from 25 years ago at least!

And we're off - yay!

Dings and wear are a good sign of a loved - and thus good - instrument.

Nice

Thats a sweet aged finish.

What will happen to it overtime? Will it start to flake off or is it still just as good despite the texture that now it has got due to age?

Also does the kind of finish influence aging considerably or not by much? Eg your typical strat versus nitro on a gibson or whatever it is they normally use. Also what about gibson satin or faded models where you can feel the grain...

They do feel nice but I imagine sweat and dirt would quickly make its way into the grain?

Lucke Luke said:
Thats a sweet aged finish.

What will happen to it overtime? Will it start to flake off or is it still just as good despite the texture that now it has got due to age?

Those crazing lines are underneath the top coat, hardly noticeable by touch and only visible in specific light under the right angle.
It?s a poly finish by the way, we?ll see how it develops over time.

Love how that is evolving there.
There is a very slight rippling effect on mine as well that runs along the grain.
It's a silver metallic base coat and red clear poly on top, so I think it's the metallic paint gradually sinking into the wood.
Again, appearing gradually over time and noticeable at certain angles.
Like wrinkles around the eyes innit gents!

We should rename this thread, "who here takes the least care of their guitars".

Back