Shipping a guitar from Japan question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuattroSte

Reaction score
Hi all.

A work colleague in Japan has purchased a guitar fro me in Japan as he was supposed to be visiting Dublin on business in November and would bring it over. The meeting has been cancelled and a complete ban on travel has been enforced.

I need to get him to ship it to me but I don't know what information to provide to him. I have seen EMS as a shipping service from Ebay sellers but how do you go about this in Japan??

Any help would be appreciated

Regards
Ste.

Hi,
I`ve sent a lot of guitars home to Canada from Japan. Always use insured postal service. The last time I was informed by a staff member that EMS was cheaper than the other method...the green form, sorry don`t know the name but your colleague will...so everytime prior to the last time I had been paying more than I could have but nobody at the post office mentioned that.
Always write them up as gifts, remove the necks to reduce stress and cut the size of the box down a bit ... takes a week door to door so the neck really doesn`t suffer much as my brother in law or nephew reassemble the guitar and string it up. Use plenty of bubble wrap and shredded newspaper placed in plastic shopping bags... not nearly as messy as using shipping peanuts or balled up newspaper... around the guitar. So far it has worked very well, and the only time my family paid anything was when I sent one surface, and they paid only $40.oo Canadian for duty or something. Your colleague will be offered a choice when he enters the post office, so he should just select EMS, the orange form...make sure he writes your name and address up correctly...my wife`s uncle just went through a bad experience because he forgot one digit in his telephone number and it caused the package to be held up for over a month.
a ban on travelling eh?...sounds serious...maybe the company just doesn`t want their Japanese staff to get too close to us unwashed gaijin.
:eek:

Thanks Sneaky!

The guitar is already in a hard case and boxed. My friend is not a guitarist and would not know how to take the strings off a guitar never mind the neck! I guess we will be talking about $100 if its in this format. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back