Shining up a matte finish

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Arthur!

Well, I managed to get a bottle of Novus No 1. People seem to be using it as a polishing agent, to erase small scratches from plastic etc as well as guitars, so I thought it might be, at the very least, not too abrasive.

In fact, I think it needs to have a bit *more* omph (technical term :wink: ) as when I tried it out on the back of my Squier Strat's matte neck it didn't seem to do a thing.

So I'm now thinking about trying a wax-based polish... understanding that it makes refinishing more difficult but thinking that it's so unlikely I'd ever need it refinished.

I have, however, fitted the Duesenberg Aluminium stop bar - I'll write that up in the 'modding' thread soon.

Thanks for asking, and best wishes,
Ian

Novus might not be such a bad idea actually, even if the number 1 didn't do anything. I believe Novus products are made especially for polishing up all sorts of plastic polishes, and according to a local woodworker (who patched up a particularly ugly dent on the top of my headstock), the matte finish is definitely some sort of plastic.

Also, If I remember correctly, number 2 and 3 are better at polishing than no 1, which is mainly for small scratches and vulnerable surfaces. I think I still have a bottle of no2 and 3 at my parents' house (used to remove the scratches from our convertible's rear window); I'll look at the description on the bottles this weekend. I'd still be hesitant to try it out on the Tokai though.

Back