SG Special with P90s

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emiel

Reaction score
After my graduation in August I'd like to get a SG Special model as I am a huge fan of Pete Townshend.

The colour must be cherry red, it must have a big pickguard, P90 pickups, nitro lacquer and a slim neck profile. I use to have a Gibson SG Classic, great guitar but the neck was too big. The new Gibson tribute '60s feels almost like a toy. I want the guitar to be comparable to my 1980 LS80 Reborn Old. Budget 1000-1200 euro.

Does or did Tokai make high end SG Specials models with P90 or should I look for other brands such as Greco, Bacchus instead? Hope you guys can shed some light.

057.jpg

2003 USGP90....... Tokai didn't/doesn't offer them with the large pickguard and they come with the wrap tailpieces. The necks are wide but not clubby.

I also have a Gibson Classic as you did and yeah, the necks are pretty big. Great sounding guitar though......

045.jpg

marcusnieman said:
bluesyrat said:
:eek: marcus, just to know... if it can be said... how much is it the area of your depot? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It has it's own postal code 8)

Just because every guitar has its own rug... :lol:

Hi Marcus,

Yeah I have been considering that USGP90... does it feature nitro lacquer? I really want the SG to have a big pickguard, wrap around bridge and a slim neck though. Otherwise I'd have happily stayed with the Gibson SG Classic...

Hi Em!!

With prices like they are right now I'd just go for a vintage one of these:

imgp6342u.jpg

It's close to what you're after and it's got it all - forget about neck pickups!!

Look at that pickguard!!

Emiel said:
Hi Marcus,

Yeah I have been considering that USGP90... does it feature nitro lacquer? I really want the SG to have a big pickguard, wrap around bridge and a slim neck though. Otherwise I'd have happily stayed with the Gibson SG Classic...

These are/were Poly finish..... don't think they came out with a high end version as they did with the LP Special. I did a little snooping around and I've never seen the Pete Townsend variation from Tokai.

Like Spikey said above, you might want to look at vintage Gibson SG Juniors or Specials.... they are still rather undervalued and it's a great time to buy in this economy. (I also have a white Greco SG Junior that I play more that the USGP90)

Mikey! Those old ones are just beautiful. I fear that a Special will properly be double my budget. I will start looking though! I really want the neck P90... and a Hiwatt CP103 with powerscaling.. ;)

Marcus (or others), do you know whether Greco, Burny, Bacchus etc made a high end 'Special' model?

Emiel said:
Marcus (or others), do you know whether Greco, Burny, Bacchus etc made a high end 'Special' model?

Not to my knowledge - LP Specials/SG Juniors yes, but the SG Specials are a pretty rare bird.

I have seen a few Specials and Jr.s from Burny and Greco but none with the big pickguard and wrap tail piece. It would be a cool model to have.

Back