SAD DAY....LES PAUL June 9, 1915 - August 13, 2009

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justpickin

Reaction score
Sorry to hear from a friend of mine in the news biz.....Les Paul's passing just hit the news wire.

RIP Les. I'd imagine he had quite a long, fulfilling life and leaves a legacy that will last forever. I was lucky enough to get to see him play once.

He did change the way music is played and listened to.
Thanks for your genious.
:cry:

I sold Les an RCA 44 out of my living room in Summit NJ back in the early 1980s. Incredible story.

I had bought the microphone when I was in college (recording studio dreams) from a retired RCA engineer in Northern NJ. After a year I needed the money back, and placed an add in The Want Ad Press (the Craigs List of its day). Anyway, a guy calls me who says his name is 'Lou' and wants to come see it. Gave him directions over the phone. At this point it's about 7:30 pm.

So about a 1/2 hour later, a huge white '70s Lincoln sedan pulls up in front of my house, and this little old guy comes to the door. I let him in and bring him into the living room, where I had the mic set up on a stand. Within 3 seconds he's pulled out a screwdriver and starts taking it apart "to check on the ribbon." I was a bit nervous at first, but he looked like he knew what he was doing. Then after a minute or so it began to dawn on me....'this guy looks familiar'. Then it hits me - IT'S LES PAUL, DROVE DOWN FROM MAHWAH, CAN'T RESIST THE LURE OF RIBBON MICS! And he's in MY (parents) living room! So I finally get my nerve up and say "excuse me....but are you Les Paul?" To which he replies "well...yes I am." Not only was it an incredible honor to meet him up close, he bought the 44 and also a Beyer M-500 ribbon mic that I had for sale as well. I'll bet both mics are still in Mahwah with the rest of his gear. Rest in peace Les, you will always be remembered with fondness and reverence as long as there are guitar players.

Epilogue - there's a DVD on Les that was done I think about 10-15 years ago. The camera crew goes to interview Les at home, and **** if that old white Lincoln isn't still sitting in his driveway, totally immobile with about four flat tires.

Now that is the coolest bit of name dropping I've heard for a while! Nice one.

8)

Latest posts

Back