rare 1980 Tokai LS-120 Reborn Old Les Paul, nitro, brazilian

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is nowhere spec'd in the catalogs, unlike the higher end Grecos from the same period. I'm not an expert on boards but I think I do have enough experience to be able to distinguish the obvious braz boards from the obvious indian boards. The Greco boards on my EGF, which are spec'd brazilian are quite different from my vintage Tokais. In fact every other brand's boards are unlike vintage Tokai boards. Tokai boards are VERY dark, so dark that I have thought more than once that they might have been stained. The grain & color combo is not typical braz anyway.

I have a 64 Fender Strat with Brazilian and a 65 SG special with Brazilian, they both have a very distinctive sound like no other guiitar I own except for my dark dark board 83 Love Rock gold top. So I've always wondered.
So perhaps I should be looking for a high end Greco then or we know the other option. Specific Gibson 2001 to 2003 had Brazilian boards. Not a lot but they are out there, however sellers have doubled their price to the 4 5K range now that they know that.
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg
I have room for 1 more good guitar to purchase, I would prefer Brazilian, Im even thinking replica's but resale value would not be great. Any advice would be much appreciated, because that will be the last purchase for quite a while. Jacco Im loving the sound of the LC65 :)

Phantom

You don't have to go vintage to get Brazilian though it may be cheaper. Some of the current Tokais have it like the LS-420 and LS-520. Several of the Pacifix-ordered Tokai models did too.

Cool thanks Wulf Ill have to take a ook

decisions decisions.......................

Phantom said:
I have a 64 Fender Strat with Brazilian and a 65 SG special with Brazilian, they both have a very distinctive sound like no other guiitar I own except for my dark dark board 83 Love Rock gold top. So I've always wondered.

I'd be interested to know what the similarities in the sound of a vintage Strat and a LP would be.

That is, what is the "distinctive" part of the sound that is common to three quite different guitars?

Im not the greatest at explaining these things. But its got this midrange pinch when you dig deep into a note or chord.
The only other time I have heard this sound was on a real 59 that I played.
So I was speculating it was the Brazilian. The strat neck was put on 5 different bodies and sounded good on all. My problem is I need to play it or hear it and I can tell you in 10 seconds if its something I would buy.

Are you sure the 65 SG has a Braz board? AFAIK Gibson did not use Braz from 61 on...

My luthier tells me Braz has a lot high end sizzle and less mids than Indian. But also not every Braz is alike...

My Tech builds Les Paul replicas and confirmed its Brazilian.
But I'm gonna look into it now that you say that.

Phantom said:
Im not the greatest at explaining these things. But its got this midrange pinch when you dig deep into a note or chord.

It's a very difficult thing to do - put sound and feelings into written words.

Clearly, you're hearing something. :)

Latest posts

Back