questions about EG-500

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marksimonhell

Reaction score
Hi, I have Greco EG-500 from 1978... where it was produced??
Matsumoko? Fuji-Gen Gakki..?
and why those born before 1980 are considered not very good?
and theres the difference between EG-500 and EG-700? only pickups? (U-1000 EG-500 and U-2000 EG-700)
thanx

That would be a Mats made Greco...they are still nice guitars man but most were chambered. I cannot remember if it was the 700's or 800's and up that were nitro coated back then. I know after 1980 that was the case. There might have been a difference in how many piece tops and backs between the two as well but pickups were one of the upgraded options.

When it comes to pre-Super Real Grecos they come with nitro from 800 and up (also Dimarzio pu's)

The chambered bodies vary depending on model, ex: the EGC600 3-pup has plywood top but not the 2-pup. The EGC800 3-pup is solid.

I am not well travelled within the domains of pre-Super Real but I think plaintops are solid from 600 and up.

Maple necks on all of them as far as I know.

I don't think they are bad. I had a 3-pup EG800 maple neck that sounded great. Well built as well.

This does not have chambered bodies, has a mahogany pancake body, 2 piece maple top, 3 piece maple neck, rosewood fretboard...

the sound is good, I wanted to make it better .. I was thinking of replacing the bridge with a Gibson original (Nashville)

Gday mate!

The general consensus from most sites indicates that these are not "historically accurate" replicas and therefore their reputation suffers. I believe this to be pretty unfair because Greco were making quite nice guitars post '77 or so. The main gripes are that they were copying the infamous Norlin-era Gibsons with pancake bodies and multi-piece backs/tops. Also the neck angle isn't correct if I remember correctly.

I had an EG-500, an EG-600 custom and an EG-800 all from this era. The 800 was pretty good but the thin neck isn't for me (most pre-80 Grecos had the thinner neck). The bottom line is if you like the guitar simply do a pickup/electronics mod and you'll love it. I put some '57 classics in my Greco ES335 and I love them! :D

Hope this helps.....

Dave

hey Dave thanx!!
I expect the Gibson pickups 490/498 arrived.. I made '50 wiring and maybe change the capacitors with two old paper / oil ..

I also replace the tune-o-matic bridge because the original Greco has the holes are wide and moves in studs..

The 70s Greco LP's were made by Fujigen. Matsumoku made some Greco bolt on SG's and Fender clones and they have Matsumoku on them.

The Greco EG-500 has lower model pickups and usually has more pieces of body wood like 3 piece tops for instance.

Soundwise the late 70s Greco EG500's can sound as good as the top model Grecos with a pickup to taste change, because the late 70s EG500's are made from the same African Mahogany wood and maple tops, just usually more pieces but some lower model 70s Grecos are chambered and some are made from birch and have sycamore tops.

In the late 70s Greco upped the wood/quality specs on the lower model Grecos and chambering was fazed out.

Hi!

Newbie here, so first of all I'd like to say hello :)

I have possibility to buy Greco LP Custom but have a few question. It is marked by a seller as a EG-500 model, cherry sunburst. It has serial number "O 5958". The sticker says that it is EG-500 model, but AFAIR Custom copies were marked as "EGC". But this guitar has a sign on headstock similar to that from Gibson LP Custom. What the heck? :). Is it a LP Custom copy or not? :)

Also would like to ask which year this guitar is, is it a good model and - especially - if its chambered or not.

This guitar is supposed to be used in hardrock band (Dio/Sabbath Martin Era tone). Good choice then?

Thanks in advance for Your help.

Best regards, Andy :)

Back