Question about re-fretting 1981 LS120

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveH29

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not been on here for a while but i have recently rekindled interest in the old Tokai.

I bought a great 1981 LS120 off Mark at Japan Guitars about 2 1/2 years ago and am now looking at having it re-fretted.

A friend of my Dads has started building guitars again (very high quality acoustics) so i am going to get him to do it.

However, there is the issue of leaving the fingerboard binding in tact.
Does anybody know how luthiers re-fret les pauls without damaging the fret edge binding?

Cheers

They don't, you lose the fret edge binding when you get it re-fretted. But that's hardly any real loss is it? Fret edge binding is quite a pointless thing to have, IMHO.

Mike

For my luthiers it is not a problem to refret guitars with out destroying a fretbinding. It is their daily job...
If your Vintage Tokai do feature from the specs. a fretbinding - don't give it up. Fretbinding is an important factor on Vintage Tokais for identification and even for its resale value...

It normally costs a bit more as it's a harder job, but well worth it! As Togps says, this will affect the resale value of the guitar if you lose the FEB.

Don't let someone have a go who hasn't done it before, pay a bit extra for a competent luthier.

I agree with Togps-
I had a 2003 Gibson les paul with fretedge binding any when it was refretted he left the binding intact-

Latest posts

Back