Premium Series LC200 "Custom" with Custom specs...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond

Reaction score
Wow, what a guitar this is, totally amazing.
I ordered it with these specific specs.

One piece Honduras mahogany body
One piece Honduras mahogany neck
Ebony fretboard - Fret edge binding
Jumbo frets
Sprague Black Beauty caps
Aluminium tailpiece
Brass saddles
GOTOH Grovers
Switchcraft toggle switch and input jack
Nitrocellulose finish
8.7lbs

_DSC6263_zps7d4499c6.jpg

LC2002_zpsc6664e8b.jpg

1_zps926d5499.jpg

Sweet shots.

and oh, nice guitar ;)

I could never understand people who like plain colours and especially plain black... (I do realize this is a personal preference). But still!

Nice, I'm with Luke in the sense that I like sunbursts, specifically Vintage sunburst or vintage iced tea SB

Anywho, that is beautiful.

Personally plain black guitars aren't my favourite colour either, in fact plain black LPs are not big sellers at all.
However, for some reason Black "Custom" LP/LC models sell like hotcakes, guitarists love them. :)

Could someone actually explain to me why they were originally called 'custom' by Gibson?

I understand the logic behind the cheaper low spec junior/melodymaker... then the standard, or deluxe. However what gap is the custom supposed to fill? Is it manufactured differently?

Well way back when, Standards were maple top mahogany back, rosewood fretboard, Customs were mahogany topped and mahogany back with ebony fretboard. Those to me were the main differences between the two models. Of course there are small differences as well, Customs get the split diamond inlay on the headstock as opposed to the Standard's Les Paul Model etc. Customs also have more body binding layers and a slightly different headstock. Why did they decide on using the names "Standard" and "Custom" ?? People who have more knowledge of the history of Gibson would have to tell you that. I've heard that Les Paul wanted a tuxedo style guitar and thats the reason for the custom but take that with a grain of salt.

For the OP.

Beauty of a guitar. Love to get behind one of those.

I'm just a realist. As you get older most people lose frequencies that you could hear when you were younger.

Sometimes you can hear variations between two of the same year same model/manufacturer guitar when trying them out in a music store so anythings possible, so many variations to consider.

Hi guys,
Yup that is one nice guitar but the headstock inlay leaves me cold. I do hope they create a better one soon.

To elaborate on your Les Paul question, the Standard did not become a Standard until 1976. On its release in 1952 to 1960 it was just the Les Paul Model. From 1968 to 1975 it was an L.P. Deluxe
Les himself wanted to have a more Customised model for Jazz players so the specs were changed to make the guitar mellower by not having a maple cap. The body was carved from a single piece of mahogany. The ebony fingerboard and all black finish was also Les' idea so that players in the audience could watch the guitarists hands easier as they moved along the fretboard.
As this was Gibsons' premier electric, it was afforded the luxuries of Gibsons' premier arch-top, the Super 400. The headstock logo, ebony board+ MOP inlays, gold hardware and trimming all originated from this Model.
Peter Mac

That's an interesting story. Is that a solid mahogany body including the curved top?

"players in the audience could watch the guitarists hands easier as they moved along the fretboard"

the racist ******* didn't consider black players :lol:

Hey Luke,

There's no top (this implies a lamination) The Standard had a 1-3/4" Mahogany body with a 1" maple top that was then carved down to be 1/2" at its highest point.
The Custom started with a 2-3/4" mahogany body which was then carved.

As for the story, I read this in an interview with Les Paul and Ted McCarthy as they unravelled some of the mysteries around the Les Paul, Explorer and Flying V guitars from the '50s.

Peter Mac

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,
Yup that is one nice guitar but the headstock inlay leaves me cold. I do hope they create a better one soon.

Have you seen the headstock inlay in front of your eyes, it's awesome.

Seriously, I hope they don't change it.

Hey guys!
That guitar is mine and right now it's on a plane coming my way :D

Lucke Luke said:
I could never understand people who like plain colours and especially plain black... (I do realize this is a personal preference). But still!
I have so many guitars with flame and quilt tops - for me it was a change to go with a black guitar.
I started playing after seeing Kirk Hammett perform fade to black with a black LP. Somehow that image always stuck in my head... so after almost 20 years, I got the black LP (with the most amazing specs ever!) to cherish that memory :)

Can't wait to play this guitar Lance!

Ah.. I've had a similar purchase. It's always pleasant when it means something to you :)

I suppose, when the guitar is black, the detail of everything else becomes more prominent; inlays, binding etc.

Hopefully it will be with you soon enough.

Latest posts

Back