Please help--trying to identify/date this BreezySound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prinmy10

Reaction score
Hi there--I'm a total Tokai newbie who's been reading up as much as possible on the subject and who has finally decided to take the plunge. I decided the first one would be a BreezySound as the Telecaster shape most appeals to me (I am presently using a MIJ Fender Tele).

To make a long story short, I ran across a BreezySound on EBay and decided to pull the trigger. To be honest, I was so dazzled by its colour that my brain shut down and my hands moved on their own volition. :) The chap I'm getting it from is very friendly and based on his feedback, extremely trustworthy. So now, I don't want to seem like a wanker and pester him with a million questions :oops:, so I hope the members here will be able to help.

I'm just curious about the year it might have been made, whether or not it is Japanese-made, which model Fender Tele it's a copy of, etc. Oh yeah, and the selector switch appears to have been reversed somewhere along it's lifetime--cool!

It is stamped '19885' on the neckplate.

Here's a link to pics:
http://imageevent.com/chingo123/tokaibreezysoundtelerust2532

Thanks!

Hi,
This is a very nice looking Breezy--probably a 1984 judging from the shape of the headstock and the logo style. Look here for the different headstocks:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-fender.html

It's a TTE-40, a lower end model, although probably still a very nice axe. It's a 1950-something copy judging from the number of screws on the pickup cover. The sticker on the back of the neck indicates the model, and the tuning pegs also give this away as a lower end model. Models 50 and up have the Kluson-type tuners--somewhat better quality. I've had a TST-40 Goldstar ( also ca 1984, lower end strat copy) for years , and still play it as much a higher end Springy strat I also have. I'd be curious to see the back of the pickups when you get this--most Breezys have a TEB stamp on the back of the bridge pickup--can't remember what the neck ones look like. My TST-40 strat has lower quality pickups than other models, but I really like the sound for certain things I do, and the neck is amazing on it. Looks like your guitar has a beautiful translucent finish--I saw this auction and was a bit concerned that it might have been refinished, but there is a guitar in the 1984 catalogue

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/v809.jpg

that looks like it could be a match. If you don't mind, could you post some photos once you get this?

Btw, I also have bought a couple of guitars from Chingo (David Marchingo) and been quite pleased with them. He seems like a good guy!

Lastly, never be afraid to pester ebay sellers with questions--especially before you commit to buying!! There will always be another guitar on ebay, and you never know what kind of trouble you might be getting into if you don't ask questions. Some sellers are extremely knowledgable and happy to help--others are unhelpful or downright shady, and sometimes the right question can help you avoid heartbreak. Don't be afraid!

Enjoy your new guitar, and please post some photos once you get it!
Thanks,
________
BUY VAPORIZERS

Hello cheshirecatsmile,

Thanks very much for taking the time to write me such a comprehensive and helpful response! I think you've pretty much managed to answer every question I had, and a few I had never even thought to ask.

I'm very much looking forward to getting the guitar, and I'll certainly post pictures of it--although I may have to call upon the expertise of the members here for help when I'm disassembling it.

What a coincidence that you've also bought from David. He seems like a very nice fellow, and I did eventually pester him with many questions :p . I'll remember to do it before I commit next time! He informed me this morning that it's on its way, so I'll post more news when it arrives.

Thanks again!

Hmmm, interesting colour. I'm not sure I recognise the body wood, it doesn't look like alder, could it be agathis? Or basswood?

To be picky, it has the wrong sort of bridge for a 50s Tele copy (should have the 3 shared saddles), but 6 individual saddles gives more exact intonation. But as long as it feels and sounds good, that's what counts.

Enjoy. :D

Mike

Hey, you can get exact intonation with a 3-saddle Tele!

Well, as long as you're handy with a pair of pliers... ;)

Hi!

Our new member just got a new TE. Clearly she is not a TE150. However, please do not punish a Breezy based on tuners.

Below you'll see a pic of the very same tuners from a '74 Ibanez. I'd suggest to look closely, specifically at the distance between the metal.

Looks can deceive until you look very closely at the very piece. The axle is made from one piece of solid metal, not die-cast. The cover is hand-made. 18:1.

I'd also want to stress the point that I never saw a Breezy with such a neck and this very tuners.

Cheers! Rup

IMG_0669.jpg

Hello Rupert,

Thanks for your expertise and appreciate your comment!

However, I'm not quite sure I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that the tuners may have been changed sometime in the guitar's lifetime? I wouldn't be too surprised if that were the case, seeing as how it looks like to me someone also reversed the selector switch somewhere along the line.

Educated opinions, anyone? I'll be sure to post pictures of its insides once I get it here.

Stratman 323: I think I was told the best guess was that the wood may be 'sen'. And yeah, I was thinking of trying a 3 piece bridge on this one to see how it sounds! :)

Thanks!

Ah, OK. I don't really know anything about sen. With regard to the tuners, if you do strip the guitar down, maybe if you removed a tuner we could establish whether it's a high quality solid one like Rupert's, or one of the cheaper type that the lower number Breezys had?

Whether it would be worth changing the bridge, I'm not sure. Be aware, if you haven't tried one before, that the old 3 saddle bridges can feel a bit strange to your right hand when you're not used to them. The raised lip round the edges can get in the way of the plectrum at first, but some people reckon that it affects the magnetic field of the bridge pickup & contributes to that unique "Tele tone". I changed the bridge on my 80s Fender Japan Tele to a Gotoh 6 saddle many years ago, & I've only recently got a Tele (well 2 actually....) with the traditional style bridge. I've got used to it now, but it is quite a crude arrangement! But then a Tele is quite a crude and basic guitar - that's why it works!

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the reversed control layout, though that should be easy to change back if you don't like it.

Mike

Hello stratman 323,

I'll certainly think long and hard about going the three saddle bridge route once I get the breezy here. I'm more accustomed to the six myself, as that's what's on my MIJ tele right now too. But if it's an easy, reversible thing, then I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the heads up regarding possible issues.

As for the tuners--much as I'd like to imagine and wish they are the nice ones Rupert's shown us, I do have my doubts. I know very little about machine heads, but from chingo's photos, it looks like the shafts of the buttonheads are straight, unlike the shaped ones in Rupert's photo.

With my luck, the ones on my breezy were most likely made by the apprentice to the apprentice machinehead maker (aka 'Eight Thumbs' to his friends)--on his first day, which, coincidentally enough, was also the day the machines broke and he had to fashion them out of used chewing gum foil behind the woodshed in order to keep up the quota.

If I was you, I'd go to the local guitar shop, find a Tele with the vintage style bridge, and play it for a while. If it doesn't feel comfortable to you, it's probably not worth changing the bridge on yours.

Mike

Yes the body looks like Tamo ash. As for the tuners who cares , but just look at the flame on the neck, thi neck was surely destined for a higher spec model,nice guitar, bet it sounds good too! Gabe.

Now that's an interesting statement, Gabe. I'd appreciate hearing more on your observations on the neck. I did a search here after reading your comment, but could not find anything noteworthy, so if you'd care to elaborate, I'm all ears!

Stratman323..good suggestion.

Thanks!
Andy

Back