Orville Les Paul Custom I just bought...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know (I'm no expert) Orvilles can be:
- MIJ Orville by Gibson, which are considered the best because they have USA pickups in them,
- MIJ Orville, which are the same but with MIJ pickups and
- MIK Orville, which are rarer and less quality

... Looks like you've got an MIJ Orville upgraded with USA pickups here, so it's supposed to be a great guitar... Enjoy! :D

The high end models are the "orville by Gibson" so this is a more "middle of the line" model, poly finish, it can be compared to the actual elitist or the old "?piphone japan".

theres been a lot written on Orvilles here recently...may I recommend a search?

I have read a lot sneaky, but I just wanted to make sure with people who have more expertise than I do, which isn't much :D

Also, I've read in a few places that Orville and Orville by Gibson are almost the exact same thing. Is the nitro finish that much better than the poly? Also, in the pictures, the fretboard is much darker than other rosewood Orville fretboards I've seen. He says it's rosewood, but is it ebony?

There's some very dark rosewood and some other really light. It's probably not ebony, not on a basic Orville. :)

there's more exchange between air and wood thru the nitro finish, when the guitar is ageing, the wood dry more properly. It's also important in how it let the wood vibrate . But a very thin poly finish (not like Korean ?pi, so) will also let the wood vibrate correctly.
You have to take the guitar in its entirety: it's a combination of the wood, the laquer, the P.U.

Thank you all for your replies :) . I've been reading up a bit more on poly and nitro finishes on Orvilles. And (I know I should've done this research before buying it first but..) I heard that some Orvilles (not by Gibson) can be hit or miss. Also, how can I tell how thick this poly finish is? I don't really know how thin the "thin" finishes are and how thick the "thick" finishes are. All in all, I just want to know whether or not I got a good deal, and I am kinda worried. This is the first MIJ Gibson copy I've ever bought, and I bargained the guy down to $600. So what does anyone think?

Don't sweat the thin poly finishes they are not very tone "dampening" like a MIK Epi heavy finish. Just look at about 50% off all the high quality MIJ guitars and by the strap buttons, especially on the body end you"ll see chips around them, very thin indeed, No sweat you got a GREAT deal, if you want to see how good a deal it is you have take your guitar in to the local Gibby dealer and play it next to a U.S.A. Les Paul, I bet it sounds just as good :lol:

Bob

From the Orville 1997 catalogue the Les Paul Custom LPC-85 (85000 yen) has an ebony fingerboard and the Les Paul Custom LPC-75 (75000 yen) doesn't.
Don't know which one yours is.
Your Orville would be made by FujiGen.

I have 1998 Epihone LP Custom, probably one of those first MIJ Epiphones after the name/brand was switched and your new Custom looks really exactly like mine, the color of the rosewood fingerboard included, except that mine says Made In Japan right below the serial number. I reckon yours should be a good guitar, although my Epi is really HEAVY, and the original PAF-style PUs where not very special.

My guitar sounds quite dark & bassy even with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, hence it's good for heavier-style music.

Yeah and I got mine much cheaper but I suppose many people are, and will be in the future, willing to pay more for an Orville than an Epiphone, even if they are really the same guitar.

megid, the seller says your Custom has a maple cap, which would make it the LPC-75, I think. Also, the pores in the fingerboard wood make me think that the board is rosewood. And, the 85 has "cream"-colored binding as opposed to white.

So, structurally you have a LP standard, with Custom appointments (like the majority of MIJ "Customs"). . . I'll bet it sounds great. Enjoy!

Just got my guitar, and I've been playing the hell out of it. I have to say, it sounds absolutely amazing. This is my frist Japanese LP copy, and I am very impressed. Needless to say, I will probably be purchasing more in the furture. As far as I can tell though, the poly finish on this is thing is thin, at least compared to my low-end Ibanez guitar.

There is a 1996 ebony fingerboard, les paul custom ebony on ebay that you could compare yours to.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1996-Orville-Gibson-LPC-Ebony-board-NEAR-MINT_W0QQitemZ170055567226QQihZ007QQcategoryZ47072QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah, I saw that auction. But look at the description. It says it's a 1988, but the title says 1996. Ain't that weird?

Orvilles in my experience are great guitars. have a 93 reissue black beauty myself. In either case, 600 dollars was a great price. Dont sweat it. If u enjoy the guitar, great. If not (unlikely, lol) sell it later. The good thing about MIJ's is they dont depreciate. The longer u have it they more it will be worth if it stays in good condition.

Latest posts

Back