Oh my giddy aunt.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanN

Reaction score
(Danger: long post. There may be a review in here somewhere, but I'm buggered if I can find it.)

My first proper guitar - you know, one that stayed in tune, didn't rot, didn't have the action of a double bass, didn't have to have its neck re-glued every two weeks, and didn't smell like it had been used as a rolling bench by the slightly scabby pothead you bought it off - was an Epiphone Sheraton. It was the most expensive thing the sixteen year old AlanN had ever owned, and though I was chuffed t'bits with it, I always harboured a secret longing for the guitar that was hung next to it in the store - a blonde 335.

It was beautiful. I didn't dare play it - guitar shops in the UK aren't the friendliest places in the world to your average teenager (or now that I think about it, anybody else for that matter) and even with the money to buy something, you're regarded with immeasurable suspicion until your money is in the register and you're safely out the door. But still, i'd invent reasons to come back - a snapped string here, a few plectrums there, and oh! I need another string winder so I can do two strings at once - just to come in and stare at her. Yes, her, for she was undoubtedly a she; a classy lady, teasing me with her ?1899 price tag; flirting away as if she knew I'd never have her. Her sensuous curves, her... *cough* hang on. Anyway, the day she was sold was the day I promised to hunt her down and own her one day. Or one just like her. I'm not a picky man.

So anyway, I've been looking for a brand new Gibson 335 for the past few months after suddenly finding myself with the excess cash to afford one, which isn't something that happens every day. I've scoured every shop in the north west of England and I have to say I've been appalled by what I've played - Gibson are not doing themselves any favours by putting out such a horrific display of quality control. A slightly warped neck, a fingerboard separating from the neck, a tone control which refused to work... god-awful. The second hand instruments were lovely, but the price tag of a new one was making me baulk enough without breaking the ?2000 mark. So I hunted around until somebody mentioned Tokai - and a quick google search later led me here.

And I've just received Johan's natural ES120. He posted it very quickly, but that hasn't stopped me from being as irritable and irrational as a schoolboy on Christmas eve for the past week while waiting for it. What was worse was that we were down to entertain the in-laws tonight, who are amazingly lovely people, but getting between me and a guitar, which made them hell-spawn for the evening.

Somebody supernatural, however, must love my playing*, as the in-laws cancelled and I've just emerged from two hours of uninterrupted play with a massive grin on my face. Johan, your choice in pickups is exemplary my friend - those Seymour Duncan Antiquities you installed are just staggeringly good; the finest ear candy I've greedily consumed in a long, long time. As for the guitar itself - beautiful to look at, and an utter joy to play; I don't recall ever playing so cleanly, so quickly, and so dynamically before in my life.

So in conclusion: Teenage AlanN is a loser! Gibson can kiss my grits! Tokais grant you magical finger-based powers!

*Probably one of those gods with no ears.

Nice post. It brought back memories of being intimidated by guitar shops in my twenties due to lack of confidence and lack of money! Having a bit of cash to buy a guitar (or 2, or 3...) you really want when you're a bit older is one of the few pleasures in reaching middle age!

Sounds as though you may like your guitar? :lol: Usual question - any pics? I'm not a huge 335 fan, but the natural ones look best to me. Dot neck like Dave Edmunds 58 335?

Mike

Well, i'm not quite middle aged yet, but we've decided to put off having kids for a bit longer, so i'm getting guitars while the going's good!

"like"? Understatement of the year that, Mike! I can see this obsession lasting a long time to come. I'm going to dig out a decent pair of cans now and have a jolly good play again.

Pics to come. And yep, it's a dot neck.

I was talking about me really, unfortunately. I don't feel middle aged, but as I was writing that I realised that I couldn't really claim to be anything else! It was thinking back to those days when I wouldn't even dare to ask to play the Fenders that I knew I couldn't afford....

And now I've replaced the Goldie (my first Strat) that I had to sell in 1987 to pay for my first Fender. And then that had to go..... Well you know the story.

I love dot necks on all guitars. Unbound neck?

Mike

Bound neck edges, but no fret edge binding. Johan's original pics are here:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=32203

You're only as old as the lady you feel!

I hate that feeling of not being able to play in a store; guitar shops in the UK are awful for it. In contrast, the Japanese guitar shops the wife reluctantly let me visit were full of staff thrusting guitars into my hands!

I believe it's poly, or at least a hybrid mix - too shiny to be nitro, and I think I remember reading that only the LS-380 had the full nitro treatment.

The 155 has a nitro topcoat, but i've no idea what's used underneath.

Back