New Tele on eBay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipping worldwide... :roll:
Let's see what tokaiguitar.de will do against it...

Looks like Tokai have been spying on me & copying my TE120.

IMG_3899.jpg

Mike

Gorgeous and I really like the slight twist Tokai has done on the Strat & Tele headstock's...so close but just a slight elliptical point on the end.

Udonitron said:
Gorgeous and I really like the slight twist Tokai has done on the Strat & Tele headstock's...so close but just a slight elliptical point on the end.

Yeah it's OK, much better than the monstrosity Fret King uses - have you seen that?

I'm not sure about all mahogany for a Tele though - the P90 on mine is already pretty dark sounding, mahogany could make it too warm and lose the sparkle a Tele needs.

I wonder why Tokai have dropped the excellent 6 saddle bridges they used to use.

stratman323 said:
Yeah it's OK, much better than the monstrosity Fret King uses - have you seen that?

I'm not sure about all mahogany for a Tele though - the P90 on mine is already pretty dark sounding, mahogany could make it too warm and lose the sparkle a Tele needs.

i didn't notice the mahogany neck too, that's possible. though i get quite a nice sparkle on my all-mahogany JJ (not a tele, it has two p90s) in the middle position. I'm guessing it depends on the specific p90 too, i've tried hotter, darker p90s and lower output, twangier ones.

and yeah, the fretking headstocks aren't great. I don't really see why they have to change the headstock, I mean there are only so many possible shapes before things start getting daft, and while admittedly the strat and tele ones are closely related to Fender (though the strat one was very close to bigsby, right?), it's not particularly fair to destroy an otherwise good guitar just because it has to have a dodgy headstock shape.

Dave_Mc said:
i didn't notice the mahogany neck too, that's possible. though i get quite a nice sparkle on my all-mahogany JJ (not a tele, it has two p90s) in the middle position. I'm guessing it depends on the specific p90 too, i've tried hotter, darker p90s and lower output, twangier ones.

Which ones would you regard as dark & which ones twangy Dave? I don't have much experience with P90s. I have a set of Bare Knuckle BKP 91s on my LS85S & the Tele has a Duncan Vintage SP90-1n.

ah, i haven't tried too many p90s, you probably know better than me :lol:

The vintage duncan ones I tried in an edwards seemed pretty twangy. that seems to be the one you have, but I think, if i remember correctly, it might have been the bridge pickup which was twangy, the neck was warmer and less twangy, so that might explain why yours is warmer. I know the gibson ones are a bit warmer/hotter and less twangy, and so are the ones in my JJ. i think the tokai one in the tj78 was pretty twangy too? I'm really struggling to remember that one, though. But again that was the bridge pickup, now that I think most of the neck p90s I've tried have been pretty warm...

Problem is most I've tried have either been too twangy or not twangy enough.

It also might be that compared to the tele bridge pickup that no p90 is going to be twangy, lol.

I did get a Duncan Vintage P90 bridge version which I used in the neck initially, but it's around 9k and it kinda dominated the bridge pickup, which is a Duncan Broadcaster measuring about 8k. So I got the neck version, which measures around 8k as well, so it's a reasonable balance between the two pickups.

I suppose the other option is to try the bridge P90 again instead of the neck version, but I would need to get the hole made a little deeper so I could lower it further into the body. At the moment the P90 is screwed down as far as it can go.

But having checked the Duncan website

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/107

it seems that the bridge version has a lower resonant peak than the neck version, so I guess that means the neck version should be brighter sounding?

yeah, probably. when i said the bridge version i meant more due to its position instead of the pickup design, if anything it sounds like the bridge version is going to be worse! :lol:

Latest posts

Back