New here

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Ozeshin for digging up the info.
That info is also part of my book, I already had that.
I knew about Vestax which I falsely called Vestar in my previous reply and I am in e-mail contact with the previous manufacturer.
I hope that someday the questions I have put will come to an answer.

To me Vester is an underrated guitar brand as far as Tradition Series
Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, SG's, Explorers, ES355, as well as P and J Bass models are concerned.
Personally I do not really dig their Superstrat gear or any other superstrat for that matter.
Some of the custom shop Vester Acoustics are also first class instruments.
The trouble is that Vester is mostly negatively judged by their lesser
models (Stage Series and 'more of the same' Superstrats).
They are often dismissed as "I would not touch them with a stick".
That is not a justified and it makes no sense towards the real quality stuff they made. Finally, this passage is in my book.
Quote:
What Vester did was nothing new, other mainly Japanese guitar manufacturers like Ibanez, Orville, Fernandez and Tokai produced what is now commonly known as the "law suit era" guitars.
The heydays ran from early 1970's up to the early 1980's; by then bitter contests in legal proceedings put paid to that era.
I must underscore that Vester guitars were no part of the above period.
Vesters were American guitars made in Korea, and a law suit against them was never filed. There was only a clear threat of legal action and that was apparently enough to shut down a relatively small scale business. They stood no chance anyway.
Vester only made the Tradition Series in the late 1980's, early 1990's.
In fact Vester copied the copycats, thereby more or less creating the Korean "law suit era". I have no full proof but several build indications
make me suspect that a Vester Tradition Series might be a copy of some Japanese "law suit era" guitars, which in itself were copies of American Fenders and or Gibsons.
So a US company copying Japanese copies of American guitars in Korea.

In order to counter any proliferation of Asian good quality copycats, Fender and Gibson themselves set up guitar factories in Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Taiwan and China.
Fender launched the Squier brand and Gibson revived the name of Epiphone to fight the Japanese and Koreans on their own turf.
And that is where they met Vester.
At this moment in time the Chinese law suit era"is the third stage.
Unquote.

In the late '70's I used to collect Emperador MiJ strat copies.
The bodies whilst pretty heavy...were plywood...pickups were functional but nothing spectacular.
Dimension-wise they were quite faithful "law suit era" knockoffs.
They were so cheap that I was buying 3 at a time..all of them were "Blackie" clones with Maple fretboards and they look very similar to the Vester Tradition series.
Emperadors were built in Japan by Kasuga from 1966 to 1992. They were the entry level models of Cort guitars and were distributed by Westheimer Musical Instrument Corp. in Chicago.
I still have one of the bodies left over from the '70's but it has a Warmoth Explorer/Kramer style birdseye neck with a rosewood board.

Plywood bodies tend to be heavier than tonewood in general.
Stage Series Vesters are well built and good looking guitars in quite a number of cases, but they are plywood heavy ones.
Tradition Series Vesters are the real stuff, Alder, Ash, Mahogany, depending on the type of guitar.

Hi Guys, I had to join (So I am new here too) as I saw all the beautiful Vesters and admired the collection of Geisha's very much.
Anyhoo, just FYI and for your collection Geisha, here some photos of my own Vester Tradition Strat.
Vester1.jpg

Ironically, that acoustic the Vester is leaning against is a Tokai. What are the odds? :p
I took these at night so the colours are really dark and I will try and get a nice bright photo to submit in the morning.
Vester2.jpg

The colour is a smokey grey with dark edges and a white pearl pick guard.
Vester3.jpg

Vester4.jpg

The gold fittings are all a bit tarnished and I am considering replacing them soon, but that Wilkinson bridge might be hard to find. The machine heads are Gotoh brand.

Valheru01 said:
Hi Guys, I had to join (So I am new here too) as I saw all the beautiful Vesters and admired the collection of Geisha's very much.
Anyhoo, just FYI and for your collection Geisha, here some photos of my own Vester Tradition Strat.

The gold fittings are all a bit tarnished and I am considering replacing them soon, but that Wilkinson bridge might be hard to find. The machine heads are Gotoh brand.

First of all many, many thanks for your photo's, much obliged.
Your guitar looks ever so interesting.
It is a Tradition model but apparently with upgraded features like a flame top, gold plating, a Wilkinson bridge and the Gotoh Tuners.
This could be a Custom Shop issue.
I have never seen any Tradition Strat like this.
Is it fully original and do have any special info???
And if you are willing to make more photos, I'll be thankful.

Whats your thoughts on this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120382887115&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

What would be a good price?

Andy

Grrr said:
Whats your thoughts on this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120382887115&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

What would be a good price?
Andy

Hi Andy I am watching this Guitar just like you, but I am not a buyer.
What would be the value for this?
Well just last week an identical guitar was sold on Ebay GB for 98 GBP.
If I would buy it, I would not pay more than 110 GBP.
StageTelesold.jpg

I have got one Stage Tele (ply body) like that in black and it is a pretty good guitar, bought it for 90 Euro.
I use it for slide in open E tuning see here:
DSCF0003315.jpg

Cheers for that, I have 2 guitars a Gibson SG and Tokai LS65 but I fancy something that doesn't have humbuckers. I remember a friend having a Fender Tele and it was a pretty nice guitar.

It does seem very cheap....
Andy

Well it wasn't me, I was tempted but when it went over ?90 I was out.

Thing is I'm after another Les Paul (Tokai, Greco, Orville, Burny) in Ebony, reason being the very first guitar I had was an Ebony Les Paul made by Sattelite !!!!! the thing was rubbish but never the less I loved it. Having recently aquired an LS65 my love for the Paul has been re-kindled so now I want to go back to the begining and get an Ebony one, only this time a good one.

So with more spending on the horizon it was a little to much for me.

Andy

Grrr said:
Well it wasn't me, I was tempted but when it went over ?90 I was out.
So with more spending on the horizon it was a little to much for me.

Andy

I understand.
Well 104 is realistically enough for this guitar.
I'll keep watching Ebay every day, you never know what comes up next.
Good luck Andy, Gerrit (GEISHA).

First of all many, many thanks for your photo's, much obliged.
Your guitar looks ever so interesting.
It is a Tradition model but apparently with upgraded features like a flame top, gold plating, a Wilkinson bridge and the Gotoh Tuners.
This could be a Custom Shop issue.
I have never seen any Tradition Strat like this.
Is it fully original and do have any special info???
And if you are willing to make more photos, I'll be thankful.

Hi, again. I bought the guitar as is and have not yet done anything to it except new strings and purchasing the Tremolo bar.
As far as other info goes, I have no idea and that is the reason I joined this forum.
I took some more pics of it this morning in bright sunlight so you have better photos for your collection.
Vester6.jpg

Vester7.jpg

Vester8.jpg

Vester9.jpg
[/quote]

Sorry guys, I'm afraid that was me on a Vester-buying spree. :oops:

teles.jpg

I'm really impressed with the feel of the stage series necks........the tradition in the background oozes more quality, but is too refined for my rocknroll tastes.

I think these stage series guitars just suffer from bad machineheads & control knobs....the ply bodies resonate wonderfully well.......new gotoh bridge and Catswhisker pups in the one on the left.

Just bought a Stage strat....will let you know what I think when it arrives. :D

Latest posts

Back