Need help with diciding for a brand

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfc_pj

Reaction score
I'm looking around for a black mij les paul custom. I've seen there are a lot of grecos and burnys from the 80's. But now I don't know which brand to go for. Can you help me deciding? What would you do?

Grecos have serial numbers so that's a safe bet. Burny's don't, so it's hard to know exactly what you are getting. Having said that I have a Burny that I absolutely love, but with all the scams out there these days I might be less likely to buy another Burny.

Old, I'd probably look for a Greco. They're easier to ID and are a good bang for your buck. Of course Tokais and Orville by Gibson are excellent also...but they cost a little more.

it all depends on what spec you want...ie nitro/ fret binding /long tenon etc etc, and how much you want to spend...orville by gibson are the only ones with a mahogany top as far as i am aware...but the greco's burnys and tokais all have their good points too...

well the burnys LPC do not have nitro finish or long tenon, or mahogany tops like a 68 custom.....so they are not the best gibson replica, although they are great guitars to play..but then most of the modern gibson lpc's have maple tops which is not like a 68 custom either

what is this long tenon??? I play for a couple of years but never heard about that.
I've seen they have pretty good revies on harmony-central.

and what's important for me is that it sounds and plays like an original, more or less, and I like the look of the black cusom.

mfc_pj said:
and what's important for me is that it sounds and plays like an original, more or less, and I like the look of the black cusom.

That's a tough one...

I find most of these guitars are very nice in their own ways, but not many feel like a Gibson. My Burny is the closest I've encountered. But I've never played a Orville by Gibson or Tokai LP Custom.

A long neck tenon...is hard to describe in words...the tenon is the part of the neck that is glued into the body. Longer ones (that extend into the neck pickup cavity) are more desireable because they are thought to be more stable. However, I've never had a problem with a short tenon LP. Even the short tenon has plenty of meat to hold it in. In fact, new Gibbys (standards anyway) have a short tenon.

all gibson standards after 1960 have a short tenon...only hidtorics have long tenon..I agree there are other factors which determine the sound of the guitar which have more impact ..like the wood..lol

villager said:
really? thats unusual.. got a pic? and what year is it?

My Burny Custom has fret edge binding, long tenon and a mahagony-top, it has also an ebony fretboard and a serial number - its from 1984 a john sykes model.

This beauty rocks like the devil...

regards
eric guzzi

Even my strange Burny with 3 screw TRC which allegedly is a pretty low model range (RLG-55 or something) has at least a medium long tenon that goes to the pickup cavity, but without protruding into it. More than what a Gibson Standard does. That being said, my Gibbo sounds better, so I think the tightness of the fit is more important than the length of the tenon. I think the long neck tenon by itself is overrated, although it usually is a good sign of overall quality.

villager said:

I don't have a digital camera. I ordered one recently, but I won't have it for a couple weeks. Will try to post pics when I get it.

It's weird...Long tenon with a big old ugly wood screw right in the middle of it. I've never seen that before.

From what I've gathered it's a 90's model, but I don't think there's a way to tell for sure.

eric guzzi said:
villager said:

My Burny Custom has fret edge binding, long tenon and a mahagony-top, it has also an ebony fretboard and a serial number - its from 1984 a john sykes model.

This beauty rocks like the devil...

regards
eric guzzi

Mine has fret end binding too. No serial number, not sure about the top, mine has a rosewood board.

My 80s-90s Burny Les paul standard has long neck tenon, and what looks like vintage style paper oil capacitors fitted. Those caps could be part of the reason for the great sound.

Latest posts

Back