Need help replacing circuit board

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajkimba

Reaction score
Hello all, a newbe here. I just bought a 1979 Reborn Tokai from Japan.

The pots and jack are scratchy, lead p/u is on full all the time and tone control doesn't change that.

The circuit board has been altered, I think I'd like to take it out and rewire to 59 spec's. Would this be a bad thing?

I noticed the pots are 250K with one being lin. Maybe someone changed them...?

Do I need long shaft pots. Is the switch and jack standard Les Paul replaceable?

I tried to pull the Amber plastic knobs of the pot shafts but they are not coming off without a lot of force. They are original.

Am I doing this right, I tried to seach here but just ended up reading all kinds of stuff not related to answers I needed.

Thanks

Al

Hi,

Welcome to the forum !! :lol: :lol:

You've resolved to do something very special ... to mod a real Vintage guitar ... but - if you are absolutely sure to do that ... !? :-?

I would like to lead you to a Finnish forumite who has documented his mods on a very high level ... :wink:
http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/

But you should be careful in changing the knobs especially ... always use a thick pillowy cloth on to the wood, and then with a srew driver or similar tool try to lever the knobs very carefully step by step, at different places ... no force - it would damage the surface ...
Replacement parts (the best) are available at

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/index.php?cPath=31&osCsid=20564aba3fed55902fb26f3736b286fc

Hope it helps for the first step!! :wink:

... keep us informed ...

Roger

DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER....the best way to remove knobs is with 2 teaspoons put the spoon bits under opposite sides of the knob, and lever upward gently...always works, never breaks....

I did it always with a real flat screw driver - no damages !!!

Roger

PS. ... I said "or similar " tools ... :wink:

i know you did ..but spoons are not generally thought of as tools for this purpose ...but its the best way, its easy and fast and safe....

Its just that screwdrivers used for leverage frighten me ..hehe...they are for screwing...

To remove the tone/volume knobs I use a 1 lb Ballpeen hamer -anything larger will damage the finish (if you miss) !!
Goes like this>
Lay the instriment on it's back, with gentile force swing the ballpeen a couple practice times (remember the final blow must be hard)
the final swing just think of your ex-girl friend that dumped you and WACKA--> the plastic knob should crack right off (usually in 2 pieces) Then a dab of super glue and Wahlah !!!
You dont have to screw with spoons or screwdrivers--> :eek:

Truthfully I use a faucet knob removing tool-works like a dream :wink:

Oh forgot about the scratchy POTs- I have had real good luck with WD40 sprayed into the little hole on the back side of the POT- spray and work the POT like there is no tomorrow
:oops:

I got the knobs off, I used a long cotton cloth, twisted it a long piece, wrapped it under the knobs, center the cloth and pulled hard. Pop off came each knob.

Is there a site on that printed circuit board, the board on my 1979 Reborn is different then on my Love rock 1981.

I'd like to keep the board, replaced the pots but I need some help.

The bridge p/u doesn't work right, tone control does nothing but meter says it's good, and volume on the bridge p/u doesn't work, on highest all the time.

ajkimba, If the pickup measures good the 3 way switch may not be making good contact-I have had several guitars with that symptom- just work the 3 way like there is no tomorrow (while you are playing thru an amp) alot of times all of the sudden it starts working part way then if you keep toggling it'll finally make solid contact- :D

ochay said:
ajkimba, If the pickup measures good the 3 way switch may not be making good contact-I have had several guitars with that symptom- just work the 3 way like there is no tomorrow (while you are playing thru an amp) alot of times all of the sudden it starts working part way then if you keep toggling it'll finally make solid contact- :D

Yeah, I've had that happen, I'll check the switch, thanks. Since I got the circuit board out, I noticed the shafts of the pots were 3/8" not tall 3/4". So I ordered standard pots. But was thinking maybe I'd want to fix the circuit board instead of wiring like a 59 Paul. If I didn't keep the original Tokai circuit board would I'd be losing vintage value ??????? Vintage value..... what am I crazy, if you can't play it, what good is it ? Just looking for thoughts.

Al

Latest posts

Back