Need help identifying early 80s Tokai Springy Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russian Vadim

Reaction score
Hey folks! Vadim here from Russia. Could you help me identify which model is this Springy Sound and if it is legit:

16973336.jpg

98883917.jpg

11965798y.jpg

63223817.jpg

I'm working on getting more pics of it, particularly, the bottoms of the pickups, the serial number. I'm not sure the the model number is etched in the last fret. So I have no idea what is it. ST-50, 60, 80? I doubt it's ST-80 or ST-100.

On the higher resolution 1st photo I got on my HDD saddles definitely have TOKAI on them. Since it's a two piece body it can be ST-60 or ST-80.

However what with the Tokai decal being available I just can't tell for sure if it's TOKAI all the way yet.

The seller claims it's a 1980. From a higher res pic of the back I can almost discern the first digit being "1" which would indicate it being a 1981 model. Hard to tell still.

Did tokai ever use Sen Ash? The body has grain that looks like Sen to me which would at very least support the idea that it's an older Japanese made guitar.
But it looks like it's in too good condition to be true if that 'was' the case!

Natima1 said:
Did tokai ever use Sen Ash? The body has grain that looks like Sen to me which would at very least support the idea that it's an older Japanese made guitar.
But it looks like it's in too good condition to be true if that 'was' the case!

Judging by this pic (although I don't know how accurate this info is) they did.

S2.jpg

It looks alright to me.

Yes they used Sen on (almost) all of the Springy Sound models.
Just look under the pickguard and disassemble the neck. You will find E or U pickups and some codes.
U pickups = ST-50 // "A"-stamped pickguard + E pickups = ST-60 or 80

An "A" stamped neck probably means ST-80 as well. Or you can do a nitro-test to see if it?s an ST-80.

Is the serial 10xxxxx ? That would mean 1981.

My guess is ST-60, though there were ST-50s with two piece body, too.

By the way, they stopped stamping the serial number into the fretboard at some point in 1980. So your?s would have had a sticker with the serial number which has obviously been removed.

Len said:
It looks alright to me.

Yes they used Sen on (almost) all of the Springy Sound models.
Just look under the pickguard and disassemble the neck. You will find E or U pickups and some codes.
U pickups = ST-50 // "A"-stamped pickguard + E pickups = ST-60 or 80

An "A" stamped neck probably means ST-80 as well. Or you can do a nitro-test to see if it?s an ST-80.

Is the serial 10xxxxx ? That would mean 1981.

My guess is ST-60, though there were ST-50s with two piece body, too.

Thank you Len. I too think it's ST-60. ST-80 would be pretty cool though. The thing is I can't do any tests whatsoever because it's not mine yet. I'm waiting for more pics if the seller agrees to make 'em.

How would you do that nitro test considering that a person have never seen polyurethane finish on guitars and owns only nitro-finished guitars?

Got some new pics from the seller.

20130123212238.jpg

20130123211850.jpg

20130123211817.jpg

20130123211723.jpg

20130123211537.jpg

Nothing new really. Except the nut looks awfully plasticy to me which leads me to believe its acrylic which makes this guitar a ST-60. The serial is 0010975 which would make it a 1980 model.

Is it me or the action seems way too low? The strings are practically lying on the frets.

The pickguard has been cut out at the trussrod screw. Or it is not the original one.
You should definately ask if it has original pickups and if it has been additionally routed in any way.

It?s most likely not a ST-80. That?s what I think.

Len said:
The pickguard has been cut out at the trussrod screw. Or it is not the original one.
You should definately ask if it has original pickups and if it has been additionally routed in any way.

It?s most likely not a ST-80. That?s what I think.

I'm working on getting more detailed pics. It seems fishy to me too. The neck and the headstock decal are in too good of a condition.

Vadim, very nice Springy! I think the ST-50s and up are all pretty much well made with great materials.

Here is a pic of the 1980 ST-80 I had, from the sen ash guitars I have seen this one looks more like regular ash to me.

wulfman said:
Vadim, very nice Springy! I think the ST-50s and up are all pretty much well made with great materials.

Here is a pic of the 1980 ST-80 I had, from the sen ash guitars I have seen this one looks more like regular ash to me.

Quit tantalizing me man with your sunburst :) The Springy above is not mine yet. Trying to get more info about it. If it's ST-60 it's being offered for way too much - $1300.

wulfman said:

That's pretty much definitely swamp ash!
Is it light? Lovely looking guitar!

Hi Vadim,
I would put your guitar at 1980 and an ST-50 (57 reissue) The ST-60 to ST-100 are all 1954 reissue.

Wulfman
I would say yours was an ST-100, do you have any other pics?

regards Peter mac

Definitely an 80, I should have posted this too:

Vadim, there is a 1978 ST-80 for sale on Yahoo Japan now at 100k yen which is around $1200 US or so considering exchange rates.
If you get an auction service to buy it for you it shouldn't cost much more than $1500 US total for a nice looking Tokai. only problem is that there are few pictures.

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g117906992
spcore44-img320x240-1359083166mvv7mw36281.jpg

wulfman said:
Vadim, there is a 1978 ST-80 for sale on Yahoo Japan now at 100k yen which is around $1200 US or so considering exchange rates.
If you get an auction service to buy it for you it shouldn't cost much more than $1500 US total for a nice looking Tokai. only problem is that there are few pictures.

I'm looking into this one. Someone local requested pics from the seller, no reply yet. I need more pics too.

Peter Mac said:
Hi Vadim,
I would put your guitar at 1980 and an ST-50 (57 reissue) The ST-60 to ST-100 are all 1954 reissue.

regards Peter mac

Thank you Peter. The seller is in Moscow and is a hassle when it comes to sending pics.

Update: new pics in!

20130213183413.jpg

20130213183113.jpg

20130213183001.jpg

20130213182539.jpg

So what is it after all? The writings on the pickups look weird (did someone get the electronics from Tokai and threw it in?)[/img]

bluesyrat said:
St60 if poly... st80 if nitro...

So there's no way to discern which one is it just by the body and neck codes? The finish test is the only way left to do that?

The fact that the pickups have been written on and the wire tie is not original makes me a little suspicious.I suppose the owner may have replaced the original pickups with something else and the put the Es back in for the sale?Gabe.

Back