My first Tokai! (ALS48 Premium) also need IDing for fakai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semi

Reaction score
Hello guys, finally decided to upload the photos of my very first Tokai ALS48 Premium, and I just thought I tell a little story of how I ended up with a Tokai guitar (one which I am proud to say I own one and loving it).

Please skip the story if you don't want to read it
I am a newbie at playing juitars (though I had a guitar class back in high school but I haven't played for so long that I forget everything I learned back then), I wanted to buy a Les Paul guitar and I checked a musical insturment store (Long & McQuade, yes, I live in Canada) close to where I live and to find that the real Les Paul cost at least $2400+ CAD, of course, I started to see if there's any copy ones.

I bought a Jay Turser Les Paul copy model "JT-LPSTD" from Tom & Lee Music store after seeing a demo, which I must say I was driven by the "urge" to get a Les Paul and I didn't check more details about the guitar other than few reviews of this guitar, which came out quite positive (mainly because of the bang for the buck), it was until I got home and started playing around with it and looking closer at the guitar, that I found that the shape didn't look right as I originally hoped for, the sound was ok because it has single cut mahogany just like the Les Paul, but nothing like the real Les Paul of course (which obviously I know it has to be a cheaper mahogany).

After doing a little digging on the internet, it looks like Jay Turser had to re-shape the body of the guitar a little to avoid lawsuits from Gibson, which is understandable, but over all I didn't like the guitar's built quality, it's not a bad guitar, but something felt missing, that's where the thought "maybe there's a Japanese company that also make copies of the Les Paul", and I trust Japanese build qualities because usually they have a very strict policy when it comes build quality, with that thought, I started looking online to see if there's any Japanese company that also make Les Paul copies, and there, I found a forum which was doing a poll to vote which Japanese company the players think makes the best copy of Les Paul, and Tokai was the clear winner, with ESP on the 2nd place, with that, I searched online for any reviews I can find about Tokai guitar qualities and how well they sound, which turned out all positive except rare few that was negative.

By this time I had already returned the Jay Turser guitar with a full refund of the money, then I checked eBay and found a UK store seller selling an ALS48 Premium with a price that's within my budget, as I looked at the photo provided (not a very good quality photo I'd say), the guitar itself looked nice with alder body with maple top, which led me to believe it is MIK, which I noticed it may be MIC after looking closer at the back side of the seller's photo just the day before it arrived, that the spot where it tells you the make, it looked more like a sticker than a carved "made in ***", and just as I suspected, it is MIC, but I must say I was blown away by the finish of the guitar (as you will see it on the photos), of course the inside's not so nice (after all it is a lower end model), I had Long & McQuade change the strings for me (who knows how long the old strings had been on the guitar when it was in that UK store, what's more is the fact that from the photo of that store, it looks like all of their new guitars are out of the box standing or hanging on the wall inside the store), the strings are now the Gibson Vintage Re-Issue, they sound way better than the old strings and I am now happily doing my practice with my first loving Tokai ALS48 Premium guitar!

Please excuse me for the long story, but I'm excited to have this this Tokai guitar and please excuse the quality of the photos too, my only camera is my iPhone 3G, the actual color of the guitar is a little more darker than it is on the photos, the red for example, the guitar actually look quite like a $2400 CAD Les Paul Standard if you don't go over the details.

By the way, it is numbered 9061810, and just to be on the safe side, does it look genuine to you guys? it looks like a genuine Tokai to me, three screw trd, and the logo goes indeed go from thick to thin as it goes, and no "Manufactured under licence for Tokai Gakki Co.Ltd" Make in Korea.

img0465f.jpg

img0464ub.jpg

img0463b.jpg

img0462cf.jpg

img0461w.jpg

img0460v.jpg

img0459mg.jpg

img0458s.jpg

img0457g.jpg

img0456m.jpg

img0453rh.jpg

img0451t.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

It looks like you've got yourself a pretty nice Love Rock there Semi. I think I know the poll and the forum you're talking about and I voted in that for Tokai. :) How's the sound and playability?

Kenmac said:
It looks like you've got yourself a pretty nice Love Rock there Semi. I think I know the poll and the forum you're talking about and I voted in that for Tokai. :) How's the sound and playability?

It sounds brighter than a real Les Paul from Gibson which most likely is due to the alder body it has, but it sounds pretty good with the Gibson Vintage Re-Issue strings that's on it right now (glad that I changed those old strings for these ones), as for playability, I really don't know, like I said, I am starting from zero again and I tend to have a hard time not touching other strings when I play chords, but I am sure a pro can play this guitar and like the playability.

I wouldn't expect it to sound like a mid-range model of the Love Rock because I have seen a few posts on here that the pickups it has (PAF-Vintage MK4 x2) isn't that good, seems like people tend to go for the PAF-Vintage MK2.

It looks great. As nice and vintagy looking as an LP gets in this price-range. The guitar will take you far.

Remember, talent is BS. You'll get as far as the number of hours you spend on focused practise. This guitar is going to more than enough to work with.

Do the Chinese Love Rocks have an alder body? I know many of the Korean Love Rocks did (with a maple neck too), but I thought the Chinese ones had a body & neck made from agathis, an Asian distant cousin of mahogany?

Mike

stratman323 said:
Do the Chinese Love Rocks have an alder body? I know many of the Korean Love Rocks did (with a maple neck too), but I thought the Chinese ones had a body & neck made from agathis, an Asian distant cousin of mahogany?

Mike

That's the thing that I was also wondering about, but when I checked Tokai's official website (both Japan and UK), the Japan site only has ALS48 and not the premium model while the UK site has it, and since I bought this guitar off an UK store seller on eBay (which by their description, they claim it's alder body with maple top also), I'll have to assume it is with alder body.

Funny thing is, I also read that the MIC version of the ALS48 comes with agathis body, but on the Japan site, it says "Flamed Sycamore+Basswood Top / Basswood Back", while the UK site says "Alder" and Premium model being "Alder With Maple Cap, Maple Veneer Flamed Top or Quilted Top", it is rather confusing.

I also noticed that the Japan site does state on the bottom saying MIC, but the UK site doesn't tell you where they are made from, it's really just as confusing as how they numbered their Love Rock numbers.

Is there anybody here that knows Tokai from inside out that can please tell me if MIC Tokais make these guitars with different body woods? or they all have the same body wood?

I seriously hope that Tokai's not trying to mislead people to think they are getting this body wood when it's actually using a cheaper wood.

Semi, it would help if you added your location to your profile, like this

<

It helps to know where you are.

The LS48 Premium is using alder hence it's "premium" tag. The quality of the tops is also better and more consistently of higher quality than any LS48's we've had before.

Previous verisons have been using agathis. Tokai have not kept their web site up to date previously which doesn't help things.

Tokai UK were struggling to hit the traditional price point with an alder guitar (?249 ish) since Korean production ceased. They are now making a better spec guitar for ?50 more. Worth it really.

We'll see how they keep up with it.

Back