MIK Tokai LP Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabpal

Reaction score
Hi guys,new to this forum and new to Tokai.I recently bought a LC53 made in Korea,i am aware they are not held in the highest regards of a lot of the members on here,i paid ?329 for it and it has a rrp of ?449 i believe.Bearing in mind i could get an epi les paul or a fender standard stratocaster for less, do you think the Korean models are overpriced?Just curious as to your opinions. :wink: Also are these models known as love rock customs or lp customs?

Cheers

personally I don't think are particularly overpriced. I bought a Korean Gold top recently and Ok, some of the finishing is a little sloppy (glue around the nut etc), but after a wiring upgrade and a couple of Kent Armstrong pick ups it does the job for me.
I would not say that it wipes the floor with an Epi, as was described by the retailer, but it's about on a par.

Nick

www.snakebiteuk.com

Thanks for the reply,?329 is a lot of money to me!When i phoned the guy at the shop and asked about these guitars he said "well for ?330 you should expect a few blemishes on the finish and not so great fretwork".I couldn't believe what i was hearing. :eek:

he's talking from his rear end. there's plenty of sub ?400 guitars with great finishes and lovely necks.

Nickt,i realise that but he was talking about mik Tokais in general,although i have to say the one i got is ok.Thats why i asked the question originally,some people seem to think mik tokais are second rate and not worth a second look.

welcome to the wonderful world of guitar snobbery! most people on here you'll find quite objective, and I've certainly seen some posts from happy MIK owners. Then you'll get the odd muppet who just posts something like "MIK Tokais what a joke"
I would definately say the QC isn't that consistant, but sounds like we both found ones that suit, so rock it hard!

usually I wouldn't agree with whitehall as I think most his opinions are rather biased, however in this case I will says he is absolutly right, what really matters about any guitar is that you like it...

Yes thats true and i do like it,the thing that was bugging me is that i felt the guy was trying to put me off buying it(to buy a more expensive model maybe?).I just thought to myself its a Tokai right?

I had an Epi LP for years, my first guitar, and it was made years ago when they were IMHO better than they are now

I have used it for hundreds of gigs and really know how it plays, and what it's limitations are.... now in my opinion all the MIK Tokais I have had in the shop wipe the floor with it!!! Even after I put a set of Bareknuckles into my Epi it is still NOT a good guitar.

I have a couple of LC53s and they are really nice! The binding is nicely done, perhaps not perfect, but I've seen worse for more money!! The pickups are better than the Epi stock pups and have a more powerful, darker tone... which may not necessarily be your cup of tea though!

I also have a LS50Q which has a gorgeous look and is very well finished. The sound of this is brighter, the pickups are different and sound more "Standard" rather than the deep, aggressive growl of the Custom models.

MIK Tokai stuff is very good... IMHO far better than Epi no contest... One alternative to watch is the new stuff out by Vintage... the Vintage "Advance" gear is very very good, brand new on the market... as with everything though it is subjective!

Thanks Jamieh,i think you just about addressed all my concerns in one post :D .Your description of the LC 53 was what i would have said about mine.Now can anybody confirm that these guitars are known as Love Rock Customs or Les Paul Customs,as there is no reference on the guitar itself.

Latest posts

Back