MIJ Tokai without "Love Rock" logo?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterDK

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I'm trying to dig up some info on this supposedly Japanese Love Rock:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/lhf0962.jpg/

The serial no. is 0712xxx and it clearly states 'Made in Japan' on the back of the headstock.

The inlay work doesn't seem like a high quality Japanese guitar to me but this is the first Tokai I've had in my hands for a thorough inspection. It plays very well, nice fret job, and the hardware is of a high standard.

If anybody has knowledge about this model please share.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

I'm surprised it a Made in Japan model.

As far as I'm aware these were a model called a ALS60, made in China.
These are not mahogany or full thickness bodies...they're made of Korina with a much thinner body...check my photos.

Regarding the 'Love Rock' logo.
Either they were ordered without the Love Rock, or it's been removed.
It's extremely easy to remove, it polishes off in a few seconds.

x635.jpg

idtd.jpg

2oqd.jpg

8gw4.jpg

Thanks so far, guys!

It certainly looks like the Chinese model.

The body is mahogany, though, I can tell through a crack in the finish, and it's thickness is 5 cm at the edge.
There's only two screw holes for the truss rod cover as well, and the input jack plate is metal instead of the cream plastic one in the pics.

It looks Japanese to me.

Two screw TRC, black back plates, nickel hardware, thin bridge posts, stop bar not in line with the neck volume control, inked MIJ on the back of the headstock, salmon-tint pickup rings.

To me, the evidence is cast-iron solid in favour of MIJ.

Check neck pickup cavitie for some square tabs at the sides..... The pickups and wiring would give you some clues also.

Will check the pickup cavity when I change the strings.

I decided to trade my old Ibanez for this guitar. It simply feels great and solid in every aspect (even though I'm still a bit appalled by the inlay work).

Back