matte finish on edwards is prone to cracking, true or false?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmintan

Reaction score
I'm looking at an Edwards LP 98 ltc (lacquer taste). I'm told this lacquer on poly finish is prone to cracking and aging that Doesn't look natural. Is there Ny truth to this? If so id rather save my money for. Full poly one or something else. Any opinions?

schmintan said:
I'm looking at an Edwards LP 98 ltc (lacquer taste). I'm told this lacquer on poly finish is prone to cracking and aging that Doesn't look natural. Is there Ny truth to this? If so id rather save my money for. Full poly one or something else. Any opinions?

That's a new on to me, had a few Edwards guitars and never had a problem with the finish, VERY good guitars IMO

I've not heard that either. Full lacquer guitars will exhibit cracking (aka checking, crazing, etc) of the finish due to extreme changes in temp... from hot to cold and vice versa.

Personally, I don't mind checking in the finish of my guitars.

marcusnieman said:
I've not heard that either. Full lacquer guitars will exhibit cracking (aka checking, crazing, etc) of the finish due to extreme changes in temp... from hot to cold and vice versa.

Personally, I don't mind checking in the finish of my guitars.

I agree Marcus. Add in some natural tarnishing of the hardware and they look badass.

Jason

I have had 2 of these and had no problems. The lacquer is not that thick on them so I would guess it may be more resistant to checking.

Latest posts

Back