Maple cap on LC80 ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaggyPants

Reaction score
I plan to strip and refinish my 2005 LC80. Anyhow, I just took all the hardware off and it looks to be a maple cap on the mahogany body, not a mahogany cap like the specs say. It's going to be fun seeing where the join in the top is :D

I just stripped the paint out of the cavaties completely and found out that it's an LC80S (written in the bridge pup rout), not an LC80, which explains the maple cap. No centre seam, so I figure it's well off centre, because it won't be a one piece top.

Here are the photos, so far:

routs1.jpg

routs2.jpg

routs3.jpg

I also noticed that it has the lip on the neck tenon. There is a distinct gap along the curved edge inside the rout, and the grain goes in a different direction. The line across is just a saw mark, because the grain follows through it.

hawkeye2u said:
Your guitar just dropped severely in value
Was it worth it just to see the top joints????

Strangely enough, I don't see guitars as "value". As soon as you buy a guitar you lose "value". A guitar is a tool, plain and simple, and this is my tool and it's staying with me, so "value" means bugger all to me ;) I won't be the first bloke to refinish a guitar, and I sure as hell won't be the last :D

Judging by the grain pattern, its made of a nice quality mahogany, also the machining is sharp & excellently done. I had a 1980s Burny LP Custom and the timber was quite ragged, also it did not have a Maple cap which apparently some period Gibsons did not have also.

Here's the top, stripped and ready for action:

top.jpg

Anybody with an LC??S now knows what's under the paint. Three pieces of very nice, tight grained maple. The finish was like granite. Took two days just to take the top off. Luckily, I'm only sanding down the sides, back and neck, then refinishing in black nitro. The top is staying natural, with a slight tint to it.

Guess that "devalued" it :lol:

BaggyPants said:
Guess that "devalued" it :lol:

Hi,

... great job, mate !!!! Don't worry about the "3ps" ... it will get an astounding look when it'll be ready ... I'm sure !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
... from my point of view more attractive than before !!! :wink:

Roger

Thanks, Roger. This is what I'm aiming to recreate:

http://www.guitarhangar.com/guitars/images/dbmr.jpg

http://home.swipnet.se/7ew-54404/images/Gibson%20Les%20Paul.jpg

BaggyPants said:
Thanks, Roger. This is what I'm aiming to recreate:

http://www.guitarhangar.com/guitars/images/dbmr.jpg

http://home.swipnet.se/7ew-54404/images/Gibson%20Les%20Paul.jpg

Nice ... keep on ... you'll make it right !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
... looking fwd to the final result ... :wink:

Roger

BaggyPants said:
Here's the top, stripped and ready for action:

BaggyPants, .... you are the man for me.
Compliments.
You are a wizard
I have a job for you...
I've some Tokai objects, which needs exactly the same treatment
Hey, do you have some capacity free... ??
Make me an offer ...

I always liked the natural finish of Mick Ronson's customs as well...plus he looked like the '70's version of Randy Rhodes :p

togps said:
BaggyPants, .... you are the man for me.
Compliments.
You are a wizard
I have a job for you...
I've some Tokai objects, which needs exactly the same treatment
Hey, do you have some capacity free... ??
Make me an offer ...

Thanks for the compliment. I'm pleased with the result, but I couldn't possibly do this to someone elses guitar. I was sweating whilst doing this one, and it takes far too much time and labour :eek:

Ozeshin said:
I always liked the natural finish of Mick Ronson's customs as well...plus he looked like the '70's version of Randy Rhodes :p

Now you mention it, I can see what you mean. Both were stunning guitar players who died way too early :(

Here's a question for you all. What's under the gold covers on the PAF MKII pickups ? Are they black bobbins ? To recreate Mick Ronsons Custom I need to have open black bobbins. If they are black, how easy are the covers to remove ?

Cheers,

Bryn

Latest posts

Back