Ls-model number don't equate to the original cost?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makaze

Reaction score
I obtained a guitar on behalf of a freind from Yahoo who after his own research seemed happy to pay way more than I would have.

It was an 1981 ls-100 Old Red like seen here

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/volume506.jpg

which was a guitar I've wanted for a while. I missed a few at around 85,000 last year. I was pushed on the auction by a rinkya nutter to 105,000, I had already established it needed a full refret but my freind was happy just to get it.

Now it's refretted it is an absolutely amazing guitar, massive unpluged sound and the Dimarzio's are very sweet. I presume it's nitro as there is light checking.

Anyway, part of my freinds willingness to pay so much was the fact on the registry page although it is called an ls-100 is shows the price as 150,000 yen.......which goes against my perceived tokai naming / pricing structue.

i have also seen this on an st-100 custom where again the price is listed as 140,000.

Anyway happy new year to you all.

The base price would have been approx 100,000 ( could actually be 90-110) Yen they are normally retailed at base price+hard case+tax so the original selling price in the shop for a LS100 and a case could well have been close to 140,000 Yen

makaze said:
I obtained a guitar on behalf of a freind from Yahoo who after his own research seemed happy to pay way more than I would have.

It was an 1981 ls-100 Old Red like seen here

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/volume506.jpg

which was a guitar I've wanted for a while. I missed a few at around 85,000 last year. I was pushed on the auction by a rinkya nutter to 105,000, I had already established it needed a full refret but my freind was happy just to get it.

Now it's refretted it is an absolutely amazing guitar, massive unpluged sound and the Dimarzio's are very sweet. I presume it's nitro as there is light checking.

Anyway, part of my freinds willingness to pay so much was the fact on the registry page although it is called an ls-100 is shows the price as 150,000 yen.......which goes against my perceived tokai naming / pricing structue.

i have also seen this on an st-100 custom where again the price is listed as 140,000.

Anyway happy new year to you all.

Ah, the Joe Walsh guitar..... I've always like that one.

I've always wanted one cos of the colour (as well as the tokai quality) but it's cost ?1200+ all in now so a bit out of my league. I think it;s all one piece mahogany and the luthier was clearly blown away by it's sound and quality. There was a Gibson on the bench that was two piece deep by three piece wide, amazing.

On my Yahoo shopping list for sure.

Are the lightweight (alloy?) tail and bridge and brass saddles the norm for an ls 100 as well as the dimarzio's.?

makaze said:

Are the lightweight (alloy?) tail and bridge and brass saddles the norm for an ls 100 as well as the dimarzio's.?

Standard issue on the early LS80's and up-over, but not Dimarzios they were only 100 and up

JohnA said:
The base price would have been approx 100,000 ( could actually be 90-110) Yen they are normally retailed at base price+hard case+tax so the original selling price in the shop for a LS100 and a case could well have been close to 140,000 Yen

114,000 yen according to the catalog......Always looking for one of these myself :wink:

P1080017.jpg

Maybe some of yours doesn't know:
I made limited 12 piece custom orders of '81 Joe Walsh LS100OR Reissue.
Some minor are still left.
one piece mahogany back
one piece mahogany top
one piece mahogany neck
Jumbo frets equipped

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12931&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I have a Burny RLC-60 & the body is made from 5 pieces of mahogany :eek: ; 3 pieces for the body back & 2 pieces for the top .......... sonically it blows away every LP I own

maple tops look nice but looks aint everything :lol: :p ....................

marcusnieman said:

:oops: it turns out I bought the LS100S-ON (old natural) coloured one!
Oh well, it's not the one I 'really' want, which is the LS100S-OR, but, very nice none the less.
There seems to be 3 colours made for the all 1 piece mahogany top and back Love Rock, that was made from 1981 to 1983 or 1984?
The colours were, Old Red, Old Natural, and Gold Top.
Had my fingers crossed for a OR....but, still a happy finish, (no pun intended) :D
Will post a pic soon, but I don't want to hijack this thread as it's really about the OR model.