LS-70F arrived yesterday 5 days from Japan To Oztralia!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye2u

Reaction score
Very fast del!
Yes my prank with the "gift" & "happy birthday dad" did work.... I didn't get slugged with the extra charges that some one mentioned before in my prev post (pulled the trigger on....)

Very well packed, in fact outstanding

Got it yesterday.. :D
Took it apart, cleaned it, polished the hardware, took photos, had a few VB's (beer) restrung it, set it all up, I used 010's as that was all I had, I prefer 011's

Ser no 9803627
LS-70F
Cherry Sunburst
Neck radius 12" actually the bridge radius is matched!!
Gotoh Tuners
Gotoh Bridge & Tail piece (heavy)
Gotoh Pups MKII ?? Please inform me on theese! They sound good!!!!!!
Short or Long tenon, again please help me out!
Frets nice and Chunky, Jumbo's?

This guitar is one of the best Ive seen as far as workmanship concerns :D
The only flaw I can see is the nut not being smoth enough, maybe set up for 09's as they tend to be a bit jerky on the thinner strings ( G B E) I used graphite it the slots of course, still a bit sticky
Easy fix next time I change strings, Wet & dry does wonders

Sounds & plays amazing ( still have to adj the pup heights until they balance, hey I've only had this baby a short while) Neck pup is so sweet & powerful, bridge nice & bright with a real bite to it, in fact I have to roll down the tone a fair bit to get the tone I want, but then again, I'm used to a Lp Jr with a P90
Action I've set low and no buzzes or rattles, no significant fretwear
Bending is so easy, prob improved by my "wraparound setup" see pics

Acustically it rings & vibrates all the way up the neck
Weight wise I can't tell you as my scales have broken down. but it's alot heavier than my LP Jr

Can anyone tell me what the no's in the cav stands for? Ie the 6-12 marking below the obvios LS-70F

Heres a few pic's HOPE You enjoy them

PA040144.jpg

PA040137.jpg

PA040136.jpg

PA040135.jpg

PA040134.jpg

PA040133.jpg

PA040130.jpg

PA040128.jpg

bf_12_sb.jpg

b2_12_s.jpg

77_12_s.jpg

66_12_s.jpg

10_12_s.jpg

7a_12_s.jpg

6f_12_s.jpg

Nice pics.
Sorry, can't help ya on your questions.

Why are the strings strung-up backwards on the first few pics?

Hi hawkeye2u,

... well done !! Congrats to your new guitar - looks really beautiful !!! :lol:

Seems there is an 'extended tenon', not 'long', not 'short' ... :wink:

Christian,

there is one metod of stringing the guitar called 'wrap around' (the tailpiece) !!
Never tried it before though ...

Roger

Hey Roger,

Oh I see. I've seen wraparound bridges instead of the regular Les Paul ones. But I've never heard of wrapping around your strings this way on the regular bridge.

So, why would anyone wanna do that? What does it do?

Chris,

there must be a tonal change - the strings seem to have less tension (?) and a different angle to the fretboard or bridge - some people like the tone you can get then ... :-?

Look:

http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/

... read his review !!

Roger

J?kligt snygg! Kul att den var lika bra som den ser ut. That was a good deal, I wouldn't mind owning that guitar myself. The top looks great! I think my -84 TLS-50 has the same neck tenon, I was surprised to see that when I had the neck pickup removed. It also has a one piece neck and Gotoh PAF's (shouldn't be on a TLS-50).

Mike

The topwrap or wraparound of the strings is for ease of bending strings, as I usually use 011's
No mods are needed, the stoptail is already ready for it, all you have to do is screw the posts down all the way & firmly, wraparound & find out for your self, I love it :wink:

Thanks for the info guys
Now I contacted the Tokai dealer in Oz re a pickguard ,incl bracket & screws & an original Hardcase to suit the 98 LS-70F

The answer was: no sorry

Anyone that can supply dealers that have original stuff as I'm trying to keep this baby all original
Thanks guys! :p

Regarding the wraparound tailpiece system, I used this method when I fitted the lightweight aluminium tailpiece I got from ACY. As mentioned in precious posts, the string tension is reduced due to the reduced angle between the tailpiece and the bridge. Be sure to screw the tailpiece all the way down. I'm very happy with this setup. Also, while watching the DVD that came with the June 2006 issue of Guitarist magazine I noticed that Joe Bonamassa has done the same with his Les Paul. If it's good enough for Joe ...

Hawkeye.........did you read my earlier post about Tokai's becoming available here in QLD?
Can't wait.
My 1985 TLS-80 looks identical to yours...right down to the finish.
I had to change the vintage gotoh tuners for standard chrome gotoh coz they would slip.
The Gotoh pickups are fine...fairly high output and I haven't felt the need to change mine.
Under those chrome covers you'll fine a set of zebra coils.
Mine's a workhorse guitar so I took the scratch plate and pickup covers off purely coz that's a look that I like.
Enjoy m8 8)

Oh yeah those pup's are quite high in output compared to the MIJ Fender Strat 57 RI & also my HOT Lp Jr P90 9.15k Dogear pup!!

I put a pickguard on it tonight, was in two minds about it, but had to do it :evil: Looks great. Ill post some pics in a while, also bought a new case as the "gigbag" that was supplied was........ well lets just say, one of the worst gigbags I've ever seen, I'ts now in the garbage bin :D

Now to a sad note.

My Mother in Sweden has about 24 hrs to live, I'm stuck here in Australia
Mums name is Maj Gunvor

This Tokai Ls-79F 9803627 is now named after my mother

May her last hrs of life be peaceful

Sorry to put a downer on this post
Hawkan :(

Hawkan,

I'm so sorry to read that !! :( :(

You'll always be reminded on your Mum when you hold this guitar ... guess, she would like that you're enjoying though ... :-?

Get it sorted ...

Roger

Hawkan,

Very sad news indeed, I send my deepest sympathies to you and your family at this sad and difficult time.

Kind regards.

Chris

How much did you pay for it? I saw the pictures and they are beautifull....i will buy also a tokai guitar in a short time and i am asking questions everywhere. How is the sound compared with an epiphone or any other guitar

You con NOT compare this guitar to an Epiphone
I own a Epiphone Les PauL Special
Body is made out of plywood, with a Tokai you will have a solid body guitar
This is as close as you can get to a Gibson Les Paul Standard (late 58-59 model)
Workmanship is flawless, my Ls-70f Needs some attention to the nut & bridge, minor attention, I can sort that out with the help of a bit of elbow grease & wet & dry sandpaper
The body, bindings, etc, you cant go wrong unless ya wanna spend a few more $1000's to get the name on the headstock right LOL

I've only had mine for a few days and MAN this thing LOVE ROCKS (Sorry about the joke )
If You are in different minds about the Epiphone or The Tokai
Play them, feel them, but as far as workmanship, quality of materials, TOKAI takes the price IMHO

Hello Hawkeye, sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you are coping OK.

I thought this cartoon might cheer you a little. It's by Tony Benyon from the NME circa 1972 - the Glam era - and has been with me since then. Sorry the photography's not great but I was in a hurry this morning!

The caption read's " Don't hassle the band about the album, man - they've worked out the song title's, now all they need is the lyric's and sound's"

I've alway's 'dug' the plaque on the wall behind - reads: "Big Slice Records"

Yes I am coping, so far so good, but it hasn't hit home yet!!
I'm in a sorta limbo mode at the moment
When it hits I'll let you know

Thanks for all your thoughts & prayers, well wishes
Can't thank you guys enough, being a newbie and all, your support has ment the world to me
Hawkan

Latest posts

Back