Loverock specs for current models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BillyWizz Flamed Sycamore Laminated top. Which basically means a veener. I would be suprised to see a flame maple cap on ANY guitar with a retail value under ?600- ?700. All Ibanez artist series guitars up to the ?600 price point are veneer flame tops. Flamed AAA maple is not cheap in its raw state. I quite like the LS48 tops. [/quote said:
Thanks. Sorry to be a bit stupid here, but does that mean a maple (or a sycamore?) veneer on top of a sycamore curved top over an alder body?

Strats are so simple compared to these LP beasties....

And I'm certainly not complaining at the finish for the money. Pretty good I reckon.

Mike

stratman323 said:
Thanks. Sorry to be a bit stupid here, but does that mean a maple (or a sycamore?) veneer on top of a sycamore curved top over an alder body?

Mike

I think ( I stand corrected ) it will be a veneer over an Alder body.

I prefer Alder to Mahogany, but then again I am a strat man :oops:

Veneer doesn't mean the sound is bad.

I know that nobody likes blue LSs, I like this one. Of course it's veneer, no other way to do the SEB.

LS125SEB.jpg

I'm not to sure what all the fuss is about with veneer tops, it makes no difference to the sound at all on a well made guitar. Really a 2piece top even 1 cm thick is still a kind of veneer. It all comes down to personal preference, don't be put off buy a veneer top, i have a rare ls 180 all honduras mahogany hard maple 2 piece top with a curly maple 1 piece veneer, it is an awesome guitar, i can't say absolutely if the veneer makes any difference at all because all of my LP's sound different,great but slightly different..........make up your own mind, but don't be put off by it... :D
...Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
I'm not to sure what all the fuss is about with veneer tops, it makes no difference to the sound at all on a well made guitar.
...Mick

If the Veneer is over a maple cap then I agree. But when the Veneer is used without a maple cap then it does not sound the same. Without that Maple cap a Les Paul does not sound like a Les Paul. The Maple cap is no accident. It provides good mids and a brightness that is the Les Paul sound.

I don?t think this thread is about veneer vs cost = rubbish. If anything it highlights the fact that Tokai along with most other builders have to fit veneers to get there price point.

If I fit a flame maple cap to a guitar the customer is going to pay at least a further ?400. It?s not just the cost of the wood, but the construction time.
If I had the equipment to fit a veneer (vacuum press) then it would cost and extra ?5 and look just as good.

But sound wise the Maple cap will ALWAYS sound different to a Les Paul without it. Hence why nearly all the MIJ Loverocks that do a have a veneer top , also have a maple cap. Best of both worlds.

The MIK tend to have a Veneer over the Alder with no maple cap. Place the two guitars next to each other through the same amp and if you cannot hear the differance I would suggest getting your hearing checked out :lol:

But that is not to say one is better then the other. Like I have already said, I like the sound of the MIK Alder bodied Guitars, they have that strat like resonance.

leadguitar_323 said:
Hey Billy Wizz, in this "CASE" i would have to agree. I was talking about maple cap and veneer. :wink:

Whilst having a true 20mm AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA flame cap would be nice.

Sometimes Veneers can give you that AAAA quality at a fraction of the cost. No one needs to know its only 1mm thick. I wont tell them :wink:

Its our little secret :lol: I mean Gibson did it once in the 70's :wink:

As long as both guitars sound good and about the same.... I would rather have a good looking flame veneer than a crappy looking solid flame top.

Another email turned up from TGC from Misako Furuhashi (for for Shohei Adachi*) this morning saying the LS1000's are African mahogany

Togps was right again!

*I have no idea who these people are :lol:

I?m very surprised you did not hear about Mr. Adachi,we mentioned him several times and there is an interview to him made by Hans Jurgen posted in Tokairegistry. I?m very lucky I know him in person when I toured the factory back in 2.002 http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-factory-tour.html

I thought only guitars with honduras mahogany are LS320/LS380,not any guitar than those excepting LS-1 Pacifix series,will be honduras mahogany built altough some claim to have and the same goes to jacaranda finguerboard, and if Gottfriedd says not I trust him and agree,he and Peter Mac are my refferences regarding Tokai knowledge.
Business practices are relaxing a lot lately I guess.....

Hi Luis, just for the record i have a 2002 ls 180 and it is Honduras mahogany. I have the tokai documentation for this guitar . It was a short run model which was made to fill the gap between the ls 135 and the ls 200. I was told by one of my contacts in japan that they weren't making anything {money} on this model so it was discontinued not long after being released. There are still exceptions to the rule out there and i think thats what makes collecting MIJ guitars interesting....{apart from the obvious quality}.. :D ....Mick
PS it also has an ebony board and abalone inlays it was basically an ls 320 except it has a 1 piece curly maple veneer....they built some strange ones.. :eek:

luis said:
I
Regarding Misako,sometimes japanese people contract or "put" a person inbetween you and him,this is because not be caught with his words,usually japanese bussines man words are very important, .

Yeah...especially when they`re back peddling and trying to deny any involvement in the numerous corporate scandals that are all over the news here.
And then there are the political scandals.

Latest posts

Back