looking to buy a Tokai Les Paul but need help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diamond said:
Did your guitar tech tell you the frets were not level and the nut and saddles needed to be reshaped, or did you do the work yourself?

Sorry, I have my doubts.

My guitar tech diagnosed and mended it, in agreement with the shop I bought it from.

Your tech found a new Tokai with un level frets, AND a badly cut nut, AND badly cut saddles...phew!...hopefully he didn't suggest you change the pots, tuners and pickups as well?

Did the music store pay him to do ALL this work?

The LS 80 was unplayable when I brought it to my tech. When I picked it up it had a different feel and played nice. He must have done something right. :wink: He?s got a very good reputation and considered as one of the best in Belgium.
Here?s his website: http://www.gitaarreparatie.be/
He told me it?s basically a very fine instrument but someone did a poor job assembling it. After he mended it, he played it for a while and he was very impressed by the sound and building quality. At the same time while the LS80 was with my tech, I was in the market for the LS95S VF (one time opportunity). Don?t get me wrong, I love my Tokai?s they?re great . I could have returned it but wanted to keep it, and decided to get it fixed (at my own expenses) even when I know it was going in long term storage.

felixcatus said:
The LS 80 was unplayable when I brought it to my tech. When I picked it up it had a different feel and played nice. He must have done something right. :wink: He?s got a very good reputation and considered as one of the best in Belgium.
Here?s his website: http://www.gitaarreparatie.be/
He told me it?s basically a very fine instrument but someone did a poor job assembling it. After he mended it, he played it for a while and he was very impressed by the sound and building quality. At the same time while the LS80 was with my tech, I was in the market for the LS95S VF (one time opportunity). Don?t get me wrong, I love my Tokai?s they?re great . I could have returned it but wanted to keep it, and decided to get it fixed (at my own expenses) even when I know it was going in long term storage.

I'm betting the music store messed with the setup whilst they had it in stock...no new Tokai is unplayable.

il vote for the 2009 tokai LS160. Its not 100% accurate to an R9/R9, but im sure its 95% there. only differences are things purists would care about ( binding over edge of frets ).

While looking for an LP i tried a LOT of guitars.

firstly I tried the "original" thing, the LP standard. Played 5 of 6 in a local store and each felt no better than a 300 euro epiphone or vintage(the brand vintage). Either they were boat anchor's, bad finishing issues or neck's that just felt wrong.

I then tried a bunch of epiphones. For teh price, some of them were not bad, but none gave a nice vintage sound i wanted. most sounded very muddy with bugger all high end.

Tried the Vintage Lemmon Drop Peter Green "replica". Great guitar for the price, but i wanted something a little higher quality.

Tried an edwards LP custom copy, and it was nice, but felt to me a little like my old ibanez, too perfect. i know that makes me sound like a picky *******, but thats the only way i can describe it. Neck felt too thin, action on that guitar was two low and it was set up for crazy gain.

based on reviews i then found a sweet deal on a 2009 Tokai LS160 matte cherry burst finish, one piece back, two piece plain maple cap, and price included the hardcase. Not too sure if its nitro or poly, but whatever the finish, its very thin. does not feel plasticy, and feels like nitro. Heaven. Ok, so i did have to have the pickups potted, but once that was done it was perfect.

Beautiful tones, really rich high and low end, breaks up perfectly on turning up the gain. Gain is controllable to the finest degree using the volume pots.

Neck is as straight as any guitar ive used ( had this confirmed by the resident luthier here, who by the by makes guitars for the Edge, and sets up guitars on occasion for Clapton, or whoever happens to be playing in Ireland.), and he confirmed the neck was as good as they get. The conversation we had regarding the many modern gibsons he gets in and quality issues is another story for another day!

Nice thickness, nice frets, and the matte finish is just to die for. understated to the last.

Weight wise its lighter than a tele i recently offloaded. Its roughly 8.25 lbs ( based on kitchen scales weight). Im a slight chap and it defo does not feel too heavy and i can cary it round with ease. Compared to some of the Gibson Std's i tried its a feather weight. One or two of them were pushing 14 lbs. When i first lifted the tokai i thought it must be chambered, but have been assured by the fine folks on tokaiforum that tokai dont make guitars like swiss cheese!

Out from giving me Mark Knopfler's 59 burst, I wouldnt give this one up for anything. Its one of the rare few that you know is a keeper and will be with me as long as It, and I last.

If you want accuracy to original specs, based on my tokai i can only recommend you save the 3-4k up and get an LS350 or higher spec.

if you just want an awesome Les Paul, save your self a few grand and get an LS160! keep browsing tokaiforum and you will sooner or later pick up a deal. mine, including case came to just under 900 euros, and it was in brand spanking new condition, still with tags!

Back