locking tuners for Tokai LS-85 Goldtop ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjofar

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently purchased a LS-85 Goldtop (see picture) and was wondering which locking tuners would be the most easy ones to install, regarding the diameter of the six holes in the headstock.

Please advise?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Welcome to the forum and Nice Goldtop !! As to the tuner question, i'm sorry, i wouldn't know, mine work fine. You might try the "search" function on the site, somebody's probably asked this question before.

Cheers.

Sjofar said:
Because I think it will improve tuning stability, while bending some strings...........

This is incorrect.

If you are having trouble with tuning stability on bends then the problem is either the nut, or the way you re-string the guitar. You will not notice any improvement to tuning stability by putting locking tuners on a guitar with a fixed bridge.

Paladin2019 said:
Sjofar said:
Because I think it will improve tuning stability, while bending some strings...........

This is incorrect.

If you are having trouble with tuning stability on bends then the problem is either the nut, or the way you re-string the guitar.
You will not notice any improvement to tuning stability by putting locking tuners on a guitar with a fixed bridge.

That is 100% true - no need for locking tuners on a non-tremolo guitar.

But if you can't be arsed to use the locking string winding technique when re-stringing, and possibly scratching your headstock veneer while doing it, then locking tuners would be a pretty good idea! :lol:

Until I owned a guitar with locking tuners on it I didn't realise how great they are for changing strings. Also, the Gotoh Magnum Lock tuners look virtually the same as Klusons.

Ofcourse there's the ease of restringing!

I know that the Gotoh locking tuners are look-alikes of the Kluson types but so are the Schallers.

I'm more attracted to the Schallers but don't want to drill.

Someone with experience?

Gotoh tuners are what the guitar has fitted from the factory, so the Gotoh version should be the most direct replacement.

however, I see no reason why an equivalent Schaller version wouldn't work just as well.

Well, I know that the Schaller ST6K needs a hole with a diameter of 9,8 mm.

Does anybody know what the diameter of the holes presently are?

The Gotoh SD90 needs a hole with a diameter of 8,8 mm.

Well, today I replaced the Original ones by the Gotoh SD90MG.
Easiest job I've done in a long time!
Didn't need to replace the old bushings and screws.

So, that takes care of that!

Sjofar said:

Excellent!

An easy job is a good job (one that doesn't throw up unexpected little problems that strike fear into the heart of the amateur luthier). :)

JVsearch said:
Sjofar said:

Excellent!

An easy job is a good job (one that doesn't throw up unexpected little problems that strike fear into the heart of the amateur luthier). :)

The force is strong in this one...... :wink:

Latest posts

Back