laquer crack on LS85F

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersozzy

Reaction score
Is there some way to make the laquer crack on my Tokai LS85F, like some vintage guitars have done and what sort of laquer is there put on anyway ? I don?t have a clue myself :oops: .

Pict0004.jpg

Anders
Sweden

andersozzy said:
Is there some way to make the laquer crack on my Tokai LS85F, like some vintage guitars have done and what sort of laquer is there put on anyway ? I don?t have a clue myself :oops: .

Anders
Sweden

I am not at all an expert on this, but as far as I know, your LS85 has a poly finish, which is very durable as it stays more elastic. Dryed Nitro (after many years) is much more hard and will probably crack if it "sees" high temperature differences. So I guess on nitro guitars one could try cold ice spray to produce these cracks ?

Klaus

SpectrumP is right... your LS85F has a poly finish. And poly finishes are VERY durable, won't react to temp changes, take a lifetime before you see any armwear as well. My Thursday Burst is a '05 LS80 (LS85 now) in Matte Violin Finish but I have polished the top on it. Anyway the matte poly finish is very thin compared to a regular poly finish, so hopefully I'll get a little armwear and laquerwear faster on it since it's thinner :wink:

If it had nitro you could stick it in it's case and leave it out in the car overnight when the temperature is around 0 celsius and then take in and open the case straight away. But nothing would happen to a poly finish.

I did headstock cracking by scratching with a needle in the poly laquer. But I wouldn't dare to go loose over the whole top :-?

agedhead.jpg

Errrmmm...a sidenote and warning....please do not try exposing our cherished toaki's to extremes of temperature.....bear in mind the effects of temperature change to the woods, necks and trussrods.

As the others say the finish is poly and not nitro so it wont check. I do know that some fakers use freeze spray on nitro finishes to cause checking but if your not careful it causes cracking and the finish comes off.
My advice is to just play it and let it age naturally

And here I am, happy that my Love Rock is in exactly the same condition as when I bought it new 22 years ago :roll: !

Mike

Well said, guys!!!

I was looking for my '85 Love Rock until I've found one in a rather mint condition for her age ... she will age gracefully!

I did headstock cracking by scratching with a needle in the poly laquer. But I wouldn't dare to go loose over the whole top

eresseraca,

I hold you in high esteem for your excellent job tuning your guitar in a - for you - better shape - but that would be for me "to overshoot the mark" !!

No offense !! :wink:

Roger

BTW - I will never have the knowledge to do such a job!!

please do not try exposing our cherished toaki's to extremes of temperature

Kind of hard to do when it's over 100 degrees outside (as it has been here for over 40 days this summer) and you're transporting gear in the blisteringly hot trunk of your car to a gig - only to walk into the frosty air conditioned venue and play for the next 4 hours.

The way I look at it is I can either keep them in their cases under a bed with the hopes I don't ever put a nick in them or take them out and play them live. For me, the choice is simple.

Poly will check if you freeze the finish ( electronic spray freezer ) and then strike the guitar with a ball hammer ( not that bloody hard ! )..

The problem is, it will check in the wrong direction, it still looks good.

Ive done a few poly relics with dry ice as a freezer substitute.

marcusnieman said:
please do not try exposing our cherished toaki's to extremes of temperature

Kind of hard to do when it's over 100 degrees outside (as it has been here for over 40 days this summer) and you're transporting gear in the blisteringly hot trunk of your car to a gig - only to walk into the frosty air conditioned venue and play for the next 4 hours.

The way I look at it is I can either keep them in their cases under a bed with the hopes I don't ever put a nick in them or take them out and play them live. For me, the choice is simple.
I was more refering to people artificially heating then cooling the guitars.
They were built to be played and that takes into account transporting and storage in extremes of weather.
I live in Tropical Australia and the temperatures often hover around the 100 degree mark in Summer.

Latest posts

Back