laminated tops

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobw

Reaction score
I've read on these forums that many Love Rock models have laminated tops, given that Epiphone Les Paul models also feature this, and in the UK retail at about half the price of a Love Rock, what is there to justify the higher cost of the Tokai? If the Tokai is deemed to be a 'true replica' of a Gibson Les Paul how come they do not feature the solid top of the Gibson. I should add that I have no axe to grind (no pun intended) only a general interest in such things.
Bob W

Bob,
In answer to your question, the pricing difference in the UK is down to the fact that the Epi's that we get are made in Korea, where most of the Tokai's that come in are of Japanese manufacture (there are some Korean built Tokai's too, which are about the same price as the Epi's).

Another big reason for the difference is that the Epi's generally have a mahogany central core, but have alder "wings" making up the rest of the body. The Tokai's are mahogany bodies like the Gibson's. They also follow a lot of the same lines as the Gibson (headstock and overall weight etc).

The laminate top is purely a decorative "cap" on top of a "non" flame maple top.

Owning a Gibson LP and a Tokai Love Rock, I can say that the Tokai IS a better quality guitar, matching that of the Gibson, than the Epi LP's (having owned an Epi LP, and selling it within a month because it bore no relation to the Gibson it was backing up).

Latest posts

Back