Just ordered Tokai ES 130, the waiting begins..

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildebassman

Reaction score
From Ebay, bought at Richtone in Sheffield because of their solid reputation. Now the waiting begins... I have also considered to
buy directly from Japan but there weren't any to be had...
Most sellers don't do international sales and Ishibashi has stopped
selling Tokai, they told me because of quality issues last year.
Let's find out for myself how well the guitar is... must be pretty
good for a ?749 japanese guitar.. otherwise back she goes..
Hope my search for a good dot has ended now, have had Epi Dot,
Sheraton, and Ibanez Artstar AS 120 and oh yeah and even an Epi Dot
Elitist that was as dead as concrete.
Ok all you owners give me your input about these babies..

es130sr1.jpg

I ordered and received the same guitar from Richtone a few weeks ago.
Richtone are great to deal with and you shouldn't have to wait long for the guitar to arrive.

As for the guitar itself - well you are getting a quality instrument for ?749.
The fit and finish are superb. I had to lower the action to suit my tastes and might lower it a tad more, but other than that, I'm delighted with my new purchase.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I actually like the PAF MkIIs that come stock with MIJ Tokais. They sound good in my LS75Q and even better in the ES130.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with your new arrival!

Johny,

thanks for your info! How is the nut on the one you received? No need
to do work on that? Fretwork also clean? Just curious, it's my first official Tokai, my other one is the highest end Japanese Fender Strat now made by Tokai as I've learned from TPOG, he sells Tokais in Germany and has been to the factory.

Cheers!

Dennis. :D

http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=29641

The nut and the fretboard are absolutely sound - IMHO

I have 9 guitars, 4 of which are MIJ Tokais - the ES130, the LS75Q plus a Breezysound and a Hardpuncher bass. All are well built and finished instruments and I am certainly a convert to Tokai in the last couple of years.

However, one of my main points about Tokais - apart from the quality, materials, fit and finish for the price you pay is the sheer playability. Tokai instruments feel good in the hands as soon as you pick them up and make you want to extend you're playing time...

Therefore, and I have seen lots of threads in this forum, I am not overly anal - I don't have a fixation about the minutest changes to intonation and with the stock p/ups I seem to be able to get the sounds that I want. I don't scour my guitars with a microscope looking for imperfections, but I do accept that I am buying something with a very good quality/value ratio...

Rest assured, you have purchased a fantastic instrument. It will last you a lifetime and it will stand up to any adjustments, replacements, enhancements you choose to make to tailor it to your personal tastes..

Enjoy your new guitar and have a great weekend!

John.

Ps: I don't sign myself off as a punk plucker for nothing...

Thanks John,

I'm not overly anal either, playability and sound is all that really counts for me, I hate guitars with sloppy high cut nuts and high actions to prevent from fretbuzz, I like'm with a low buzzfree action.

I'm sure I will love the Tokai, when it's in the same ballpark, builtwise as my Fender made by Tokai strat all is fine.

I can't wait to play the hell out of this baby!

Dennis.

I just hope after all this build up I've been giving you that you get a top example and not a v.v.v. rare one with a bad finish or bad playability!

I look forward to hearing how you get on - do let us know!

John.

hey wildman, i recently got a 2005 Tokai ES120 from eBay seller japanoldguitar, Hiro. He listed it as new but I would say it's more like near mint; I'm picky, LOL

after the shipping costs & getting stuck by the U.S. Customs wipes for duty, my grand total was just a bit over $1,400. Not that great but then again, I've seen these go for up to quite a few hundred more in England & in Germany

Still though, if you look at the CHEAPEST comparable flamed natural finish ES335 Gibson on eBay, I would have had to spend a MINIMUM of $600 more to get one, and the gibson quality is a gamble.

I think mine is an excellent example for overall quality; Gibson can't touch this thing :) The photo is a little on the dark side but so am I :lol:

ES-120First.jpg

Let us know what you think about yours when you have had an opportunity to road test it 8)

:cry: Arrived today, didn't meet my expectations at all...
This one is stiff and dull sounding, expected a bit more complex and warmer sound with better sustain, the Ibanez AS120 I had once was way better soundwise...

Back she goes....

Cheers,

Dennis.

Your description reminds me of a new ES335 I played in a shop. It just seemed congested and stiff. Do you think it just needs to be broken in or was it just fundamentally a dog? Do other Tokai ES owners feel their guitars have gotten better after the initial breakin period?

-Tom

My own experience is yes.The guitars I played and owned have won in the sound and playability departaments.Just wait a pair of moths and play them regulary.....The same occurs when reciving a guitar from Japan because a different climate conditions.As far as Japan climate is humid the guitar needs some time to "catch" the new enviroment.
I feel 335/semihollow guitars specially sensitive to this changes....After playing a while they seem to improve in tone and getting softer and easy to play.

I have been playing guitar for 30 years now and I know it when a guitar is
a keeper or not... I'm sorry I did have to let go on this Tokai, she looked beautiful, no complaints there, just the sound was completely uninspiring, playability was top notch, perfect tretwork and setup nicely by Richtone in Sheffield but... it sounded dry without the warmth and sustain and all the characteristics I know a dot can have. I put her back in the case, packed her back in the box and now she's on the way back to Sheffield again.
I hoped my quest for a good dot guitar was over, now the search continues. Was the guitar a dog? I have no opinion on this, somebody else might love this particular guitar but I expected a lot more soundwise.
I believe Tokai makes fantastic guitars, but this one wasn't for me. :(

Cheers,

Dennis.

I would be interested in knowing what amp set up you have for testing the guitar as this has not been mentioned

I would be interested in knowing what amp set up you have for testing the guitar as this has not been mentioned

I use a Marble Clubreverb Twin Amp, 40 watts, 2x10"s, its like a Fender '57 CS Twin amp, ptp, handwired.

Cheers,

Dennis.

Sounds like a sweet amp. I like the 2x10 configuration. I have a Trace Elliot Velocette that is a 2x10.

I've been playing guitar for a similar amount of time as you, but semi-acoustics have always passed below my radar. I just never tried them or even considered them. Then I borrowed an Epi Sheraton (nice guitar) and although I didn't like the pickups it was a revelation. In the past few months I've tried every semi I could get my hands on - new/used ES335s, Tokai ES60, Epi Dot, Edwards, Sheraton, Ibanez, etc. However, as I said I'm no expert on them.

I finally purchased an ES130 from Ebay, which I don't have yet. Ideally I like to try guitars out first, but this wasn't possible. I'm hoping that high Japanese QC and Tokai's good reputation will get me most of the way to the magic qualities I've found in the best semis. I'll find out in a week or so. Good luck in your search.

-Tom

Dennis - I'm sorry it hasn't worked out with your ES130...
Telehack - good luck with yours...

As you'll see from the earlier thread, I bough mine about a month ago, also from Richtone. I've already commented on the great quality, fit and finish, so I won't repeat myself.

In the last month, I've played around with the action and now have the string height just right. This is my first semi and it seems to have a slightly slimmer neck profile than my LS85Q or my Les Paul Special but I am getting used to that.

Plugged in, I'm very happy with the sound and feel, but I was a little disappointed with the unplugged sound. I'm used to quite a bright ring to the sound as you get with the LS85Q with the reflection off the maple cap. I put the unplugged sound down to this being a semi and having a more woody ring to the tone.

However, in an earlier thread, the mention is made of guitars, especially semis, needing to acclimatise - mine is an 07 model and was literally shipped from Japan 6/8 weeks ago. I feel that this is certainly the case for me. As the days and weeks have gone by, I've certainly noticed a brightening of the unplugged tone and its improving all the time - as is my enjoyment of my new purchase...

I'm still using the stock strings and in time will restring with my default string of choice - Ernie Ball 10s.

By the time a few more weeks have gone by and I've got round to restringing, I'm positive that this guitar is going to be everything I wanted in an ES-type guitar.

So, Telehack, good luck with your new guitar and have a bit of patience - I'm sure you'll be rewarded.

John.

Latest posts

Back