Just ordered an LS160S from togps

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
togps said:
marcusnieman said:
Have a look and see what real Mosrite guitars sell for in Japan. In fact, the current Mosrite Japan guitars are made by Tokai.
Actually, they want me for distributorship... should I, Marcus ?

Interesting......the one's I've seen on ebay get snatched up really quickly and they are not inexpensive guitars. I'd be curious to see where they are going to (US, Europe, etc).

As for the distributorship, it's certainly worth looking into. They are certainly a specialty piece - not for everyone - but they have a large, loyal following. The Mosrite Japan models look EXACTLY like the US versions - right down to the minute details - such as the tiny, pencil dot fret markers on the fingerboards.

Mosrite model is the most time consuming guitar Tokai makes.

Interesting guitars,never tried any but I?d like to.

Gottfried,not so sure how is the european market for these Mosrites....

here is mine, right next to a gibson historic R7... I highly recomend the ls-145s (now ls-160s), mine is certainly one of the most balanced sounding guitar (open yet fat and the p90's can get squeaky, in a good way, which reminds me of an early 50's microphonic p90), the neck is amazing, big but not overly so... this guitar has been with me for two years and a half almost, it isn't going anywhere I assure you. I did no modifications to the guitar, it simply didn't need any, I rewired it to 50's wiring however... which took me about 5 minutes time to do and involves no parts changing at all, makes a world of difference, the tone spectrum gets very even and soft.

DSC00753.jpg

Throwing in my 2 cents worth:

I've been primarily a Strat player for over 30 years. I have two that
are very good, one of which is amazing (my original '75 now on its third set of frets). I just love the sound of these guitars coupled with, ususally, my '66 BF Super Reverb or my '76 Vibrolux Reverb, two of the best of among too many amps I own.

However, I bought a LS145S GT a year-and-a-half ago and have forced myself to play it as much as possible. For example, I will rehearse with it for weeks at a time (playing my Strats is a no-brainer: I can do that in my sleep), and then on the gig I will begin with the Goldtop. Hands down one of the best guitars I have ever played and heard. Bigger neck, fat sound and very fast. Yeah, certain songs require the Strat sound, but really, the GT covers most bases. And the P90s (stock) are killer to me, and tone is paramount in my book.

I always get complimented on its sound (and looks, of course). Again, being a Strat/Fender aficionado, the Goldtop is fast becoming my go-to guitar.

You just have to give it a chance.

James

I just received an email from togps and he told me that he will order not just ONE LS160S but FOUR, so I will be able to pick out from four LS160S guitars . Isn?t that just unbelievable? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hi

bad news today from togps: I will have to wait till the end of November until my LS160S will be here. I ordered it at the end of April, so that will be a 7 month wait... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheers

Matthias

evamatze said:
Hi

bad news today from togps: I will have to wait till the end of November until my LS160S will be here. I ordered it at the end of April, so that will be a 7 month wait... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheers

Matthias

I think that it is usual if the delivery date is 7months.
It is common that Tokai takes one year for production.

Tops is order mere one Diller to accept.
(I decline it entirely)

Please wait a little more.
He works ardently. :D

Yes, that?s what I thought, too. But it would be interesting to know what he wanted to say...

marcusnieman said:
evamatze said:
What does that mean? I don?t understand.

Matthias

Hisashi is from Japan. I think a little got lost in the translation. :wink:

What I wanted to tell

There are a lot of places where the order for TOKAI is not taken now.
(I also am discontinuing accepting now.)

The reason is that the delivery date is irregular.

He(Tops) accepts.
The good policy waiting slowly.

He is very good those who sell it.

I think he is saying that there are many dealers now who will not take orders now because the waiting time is inconsistent or subject to change. Hisashi will no longer take orders because of this

But Gottfried (togps) is still willing to do so - as long as the buyer knows there is a long wait and that it may change.

He (togps) is a well regarded Tokai dealer.

marcusnieman said:
I think he is saying that there are many dealers now who will not take orders now because the waiting time is inconsistent or subject to change. Hisashi will no longer take orders because of this

But Gottfried (togps) is still willing to do so - as long as the buyer knows there is a long wait and that it may change.

Oh!!marcusnieman.

Perfect :D

Thanks!!

hisashi0731 said:
marcusnieman said:

Oh!!marcusnieman.

Perfect :D

Thanks!!

My pleasure! :wink:

Hi

my Tokai LS160S from togps has finally arrived (the day before Christmas... :)). I have just played it through my 5E3 Clark Beaufort and my Super Reverb, and I must say that the tone of the LS160S is even rounder/fuller than the tone of the LS85S. The build quality is as good as always, but you can feel that better parts are being used in these premium guitars (pickups, switch, pots, jack...). It also is a bit heavier than my LS85S.

The only thing I don't like about it is the middle position. With my LS85S the middle position is hum-cancelling. The middle position on my LS160S is not.

Is there any simple way to get a hum-free middle position? I really would like to keep the LS160S, but I really need a hum-free middle position... my band mates hate humming guitars (they all play hum-free instruments like sax, trombone, drums, piano...)

Thanks in advance for your help, and Merry Christmas

Matthias

evamatze said:
Is there any simple way to get a hum-free middle position? I really would like to keep the LS160S, but I really need a hum-free middle position... my band mates hate humming guitars (they all play hum-free instruments like sax, trombone, drums, piano...)

Thanks in advance for your help, and Merry Christmas

Matthias

Merry Xmas Matthais

I don't think there's a quick fix for that. You'll need to get one of the pickups re-wound in a reverse direction to the other and the magnet poles turned around.

Reverse wound, reverse polarity is how they do it on strat middle pickups.

Chris

chrisheyes said:
I don't think there's a quick fix for that. You'll need to get one of the pickups re-wound in a reverse direction to the other and the magnet poles turned around.

Reverse wound, reverse polarity is how they do it on strat middle pickups.

Chris

Probably don't actually need to get one of the p/ups rewound. Whether the p/up is two wire, or single wire and braided shield, each end of the winding goes to one or the other; if it's braided, one end terminates on the baseplate, and the shield is soldered to the baseplate; if it's two wire, it's a bit easier.

A good tech can remove the baseplate, switch the wiring, reverse the magnet, and, presto. RWRP. If I still had 20 year old eyes, I would do it, but that's been a few days.

My point is just that, unless you want a hotter or cooler wind, the coil shouldn't have to be rewound, just need to switch the leads and magnet.

Regards.

Latest posts

Back