Just ordered a LS95F/L in Violin Finish, ..........

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEFTY-GT

Reaction score
....anybody got any pictures of what to expect? I have had Tokais before, A MIJ Gold-top and a MIK Firebird, so I know what the quality is like.I have seen various photos of LS60's, 70's, 80's and the flames seem to differ greatly from one guitar to the next, or am I just looking at bad photo's? In my Gold-top, I swapped out the original pick-ups for a set of Vintage-Vibe P.A.F's, what are the pick-ups like in the LS95's? I'm really hoping for a strong flame and a gloss finish, I decided to stay with Tokai and not to get an Edwards, I hope I dont regret it!

LEFTY-GT said:
....anybody got any pictures of what to expect?
2006_07.jpg

I have seen various photos of LS60's, 70's, 80's and the flames seem to differ greatly from one guitar to the next, or am I just looking at bad photo's?
That's "the nature of the game" actually, because they don't have the same veneer for all of these guitars over several years. Only two Love Rocks from the same period and model range can look alike, e.g. my 1984 LS60 and the 1985 LS60 from my friend.

The newer LS70-95s and the MIK ALSxx have sycamore veneer instead of maple which looks more decent with finer flames (which would classify it higher on the general tonewood grading list).

In my Gold-top, I swapped out the original pick-ups for a set of Vintage-Vibe P.A.F's, what are the pick-ups like in the LS95's?
See the picture, the usual Tokai PAF-Vintage MK2.

I'm really hoping for a strong flame and a gloss finish, I decided to stay with Tokai and not to get an Edwards, I hope I dont regret it!
Hmmm... :wink:

The LS125 and the LS95 seem to be two totally different colours, but the catalouge says they are both violin-finish, would this be the difference between the maple and sycamore?

LEFTY-GT said:
The LS125 and the LS95 seem to be two totally different colours, but the catalouge says they are both violin-finish, would this be the difference between the maple and sycamore?
Right, that's what I thought, too. The sycamore seems to have a more reddish natural color, so the violin finish is darker on it.

Hans, there does'nt seem to be a huge difference between the guitars in specifications, and I like the look of the sycamore top more, so why the 30% difference in price?

Long neck tenon, aluminum tailpiece plus brass saddles plus nitro lacquer make the difference which are all Gibson Historic features.

wow, a lot of money for a bit of varnish and recycled coke-cans :eek: I cant play guitars with nitro finishes, it reacts with the heat & perspiration from my hands and blooms when I've been playing for a long time, the back of the neck becomes very sticky :cry:

Well, it seems there are people out there who would kill for a long neck tenon... :wink: Not sure about the Coke part either, maybe they used a Japanese lemonade.

Latest posts

Back