Just joined the club

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old-Bugga

Reaction score
Finally joined the Tokai MIJ club after bagging this

http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1033134419/34b3cf74.html

Curious to hear more about the LS70F model?

Have to admit that Cherry sunburst was rock bottom on my list of colours (actually just selling an Cherry sunburst Ibanez acoustic on Ebay because the colour just isnt doing it for me). A Honey or Tea burst would have had me weak at the knees.

Anyway...REALLY impressed with the build quality fo this guitar. Previous owener has had it professionally setup and it shows.

So far I cant say I am overly impressed by the Duncan Design pickups. Neck seems noticably louder than the bridge. Also.....not sure if I have a wiring issue. Should both pickup cut out if you turn either volume to zero?

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

Welcome to the club...that's a beautiful guitar.
The current model number is LS98F.

Why would someone sell this guitar for ?375?

Old-Bugga said:
So far I cant say I am overly impressed by the Duncan Design pickups.

They're not original. I hate the "duncan designed" pickup ranges - never found a pair that sounded good.

Old-Bugga said:
...Also.....not sure if I have a wiring issue. Should both pickup cut out if you turn either volume to zero?

Yep they will in the middle position, classic LP wiring, some use it for a stutter effect. But you should still get one of the pickups if you select it on its own?

You can change the wiring though.

Thanks for the replies. OK, then what would be the recommendation for pickups. I do have a set of Lindy Fralins in my home made strat which I love.

And...I NEVER knew that about Les Pauls despite having played for nearly 30 years (Jees that was a sobering moment...30 years...wow...where did the time go??????).

I will give those pickups a try : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G92nOngmf0&feature=related

Handwound from a canadian guy,Jon Moore and the price seems more than fair.It's exactly my kind of a vintage tone though

Yes and when I was asking for exactly the pus from the video he was searching a few minutes and told me then he has all written down and can wind me exactly the same pickups with the same specs.Hopefully they sound in my Lester as they do in the custom build one in this vid.

Incidentally, that Phil X is a REALLY nice player. You see him demoing some SERIOUSLY nice guitars on Ebay.

Don't wanna see it :lol: as I had a GAS attack immediately after the cheap sunglasses vid... :wink:

Getting a set of tonerider rocksongs sent up. Thinking of wiring them with the Jimmy Page wiring.

After a period of head scratching, the new pickups are in and the Mr Page wiring mod complete. Despite thinking I had checked, my pickup wires were in fact coloured differently to the diagram I was using, so that caused me an hour or so's head scratching. All good now.

I also wondered if I had done it wrong as the bridge pickup volume was negated when the in series switch was activated. Turns out that is correct.

"Here are the tests that you should do:

All push/pulls "down": This should function totally like a normal Les Paul. The toggle switch controls each pickup and when each pickup is off, its respective controls are negated.

Coil taps (Volume Controls): These individually shunt half of each pickup to ground, effectively making it a single coil. Check each position of the main toggle switch. Each one should still sound like its own voice, but a little thinner. Otherwise, each of these should still function like a normal LP with the tone and volume controls as expected.

Bridge Tone pot: Phase change. Pulling this pot reverses the phase of the bridge pickup by swapping its ground and hot wires.

This will only have effect when the main toggle is in the middle position because both pickups have to be on for it to change your tone. The science of it is a little complicated, but basically since the pickups have a different phase from each other each one will only output the frequencies that the other one DOESN'T have because the duplicates are eliminated.

This will sound "nasally" or "honky" when done properly. Think of the solo to "The Ocean" and a lot of Page's live stuff or even Peter Green's early stuff is out of phase. In fact, JP is quoted as referring to this tone as "that Peter Green tone".

You have to have the pickups' output balanced also. So if you have their heights balanced correctly, you can do this with an equal ratio, i.e. both on 7, both on 8, both on 10, etc. If not, you'll have to mess with your volumes and/or heights to really maximize this effect.

Controls with this switch activated will function normally. However, as stated above volumes need to be in a delicate balance for this to work. A minor adjustment to either volume control will result in the louder pickup taking over and dominating the overall tone.

Neck Tone pot: Pickups in series. This is a little higher output and does yield a different kind of tone. It's actually a fairly complicated circuit as far as what controls what.

When this is active, you'll need the toggle switch in the middle or rhythm position, and you'll use the neck volume and neck tone.

The bridge volume is negated and you'll get mostly nothing with the toggle in the bridge position.

The bridge tone will be active when the toggle is in the middle position because even though the bridge volume has no signal going through it, the bridge tone still is in parallel with the output jack. "

stratman323 said:
Far too complicated!

:lol:

I was thinking that during the "head scratching phase", however, now the pain is over..I am LOVING the range of sounds. Honestly, just keeps taking me off in different directions.

Piezo bridge mod next? I love tinkering.

I have two coil taps (on the tone pots - far more logical) and a phase switch on push-pulls on my LS70. That's too much - coil taps never really give a decent single coil sound, all I really need is a phase switch. So if 3 push/pulls is too much, I dread to think what 4 is like.

Must be more awkward to drive than a 2CV!

:lol:

Latest posts

Back