just bought this...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
...I was going to get one of the beautiful grecos in display at villager's store by the end of the summer, but this one came along so I decided to have a go at it.

Can someone tell me more regarding this!

Despite the fact that I've been gathering info about japanese les pauls, grecos are kind of a new thing to me,always thought them to be interesting though, I plan on getting wolftones or maybe JM rolphs for the guitar along with the rest of the hardware

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980-Greco-Super-Real-LP-EGF-850-PROJECT-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ270255528369QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good buy Bruno! EGF850's are great guitars, with a little work you will have an excellnt player! I would recommend Togps aged faber kit and locking ABR, you don't want shiny new hardware on that :wink:

Gotoh tuners should drop straight in, and then some nice pickups, I won't make any recommendations as it's very much down to personal choice & budget, originally it would have had the excellent Greco PU-2's on there which do come up for sale now and again, but you would have to be patient, maybe someone on the forum has a spare set??

thanks man, I'd even go for some dry Z's but they're really expensive... one thing is for sure, togps faber kit is going in there as is a nice pair of paf style low output humbuckers.

DRY-Z's would be nice, but nearly as much money as the guitar :eek: I would say get it together with some other pickups and make sure it's a keeper before investing in some DRY-Z's Seymour Duncans & the Tokai PAF Mk II's(much underrated PAF's) pop up on ebay a lot for good prices, you don't need to spend a fortune. If you're getting the Faber kit from togps, you might as well get the ABR from him too, he now does a locking one which is great! The aged stuff is a lot nicer than the new shiny ones IMO.

www.fake58.co.uk is a good source for parts, but I don't think standard Gibson scratchplates will fit a Greco.

Make sure you post some pics when you get it all together :D

oh I will no doubt, I'll even take some photos alongside my ls-145s, as far as paf's I'm very much inclined to go with wolftones, I'd go with rolphs but they're most likely more expensive and harder to get.

I'll follow your advice on the faber kit/tailpiece and bridge though.

Wolftones - good choice, but if you are prepared to spend that sort of money then a set of DRY-Z's might be an option, and certainly would keep the guitar more 'Greco'

Whatever you go with, I'm sure you'll end up with a lovely guitar!

Rolphs and Dr. Vs Wolfetones are different kind of PAFs. I know why Tokai choose Rolphs,more honk and dark sound whereas Dr. Vs have more clarity.I like both depending on the guitar but just remember what you look for before spending money.....and Rolphs are more expensive than Wolfetones.

I honestly don't know I guess it's a hit and miss thing, I like pickups with honk, I also like clarity, I also know that most pickups with clarity will honk at higher volumes (in my experience obviously)... but mostly I know I'll have to find good pickups to complement the guitar's nature.

If I don't like what I hear they'll be up for sale very quickly or maybe tried in a different guitar.

by the way I'm refering to a specific wolfetone model, not the Dr V's, I was refering to the legends model.

Any other opinion/input/recomendation regarding pafs for this guitar, I'd happy to see them. I am not familiar with greco in terms of playing experience so I don't know what to expect, I do realize this is a middle of the line guitar, not a top model, I still think it deserves the best hardware and electronics I can afford.

Peter Florance Voodoo '59's are my personal favourites! I also have a Bare Knuckles 'Stormy Monday' in the neck position of one of my LS120's and it sounds great!

Back