Just bought my first Greco, Questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axe78th

Reaction score
Greetings all,
First post here. I just purchased my first Greco off the Bay. A bandmate recently got a Greco custom LP that I really liked and had to have one of my own. Here's the one I have coming,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250419287625

From the info I have found I believe it to be a mint collection, 89' model but I'm not sure of the model, 500,600 etc. Do these have nitro finishes? My buddies custom is a '90 model. I tired some super glue solvent in the neck PU cavity to see if the finish reacted and it did not so I assume his is a poly finish. Sure looks like lacquer though.

yes,it's a thin poly finish,I think that was a pretty good price for it,,I recommend putting a set of SD Antiquities pickups in it ,enjoy!

Very nice price and a somewhat rare color too. Good catch.

I owned an '89 just like it a year or so ago. It was a real looker like yours. Likely an EG59-60 or 70. I dropped some Dimarzio Virtual PAF's in mine and it was a nice tonal upgrade.

fiftywatt said:
Very nice price and a somewhat rare color too. Good catch.

I owned an '89 just like it a year or so ago. It was a real looker like yours. Likely an EG59-60 or 70. I dropped some Dimarzio Virtual PAF's in mine and it was a nice tonal upgrade.

Brian, I was thinking of your Greco MC cherry flame top when I saw this one; didn't know yours was also an '89 model :)

My favorite of all the MC examples I have had is my '89 plain top, which is kinda ironic, considering that was the time frame that the series was rapping up production :-?

MIJvintage said:
Brian, I was thinking of your Greco MC cherry flame top when I saw this one; didn't know yours was also an '89 model :)

My favorite of all the MC examples I have had is my '89 plain top, which is kinda ironic, considering that was the time frame that the series was rapping up production :-?

Good memory MIJ! I didn't end up keeping my '89 cherry, it had some inlay and fret issues that none of my earlier era ones had. Still a nice guitar, probably should have popped for a refret in hindsight. :(

I also picked up a cherry flame '87 EGC last year that was also gorgeous and a bit nicer build quality. A buddy of mine now owns it and he is quite fond of it. I concur with the plaintops as well. My best sounding examples are both '84 plain top bursts. I also have an '82 gold top that is amazing. I had an '89 plain top lemonburst briefly that was stellar as well.

Thanks for the help folks. I'll post a report and maybe some pics when I get it.

I received the guitar today, so far so good. Seems very well made. A couple of things I want to inquire about from you folks who might know. First of all about the pickup rings. I want to change them to cream rings however a set of All Parts standard cream rings for a les Paul don't fit right. My top is a bit flatter it seems. Cutting the All Parts rings down will make them too low. I noticed that Gibson sells a set that are spec'ed for Historic guitars. Does anyone know if these will fit a Greco? I hate the black rings. Also something that is odd about this guitar is that there are not any mounting holes for a pickguard. Perhaps a limited run? Here's a pic of the pots,
greco1.jpg

It has the good caps. Would an EG59-60 have these caps?
The solder joints appear untouched so I will assume the pickups are original. There is nothing on the bottom, no numbers or stickers. The finish appears to be poly as a drop of lacquer thinner in the pickup cavity had no reaction. Thanks for the help. Another pic that shows the color a little better. Gotta get some cream rings!! Sorry for the bad pic.
greco2.jpg

Here's some additional and hopefully better pics.
greco6.jpg

greco8.jpg

greco3.jpg

Any idea what pickups these are? They read about 7.5 measuring at the output jack.

greco10.jpg

I have a 1990 Mint Collection Les Paul that I installed Gibson Historic pickup rings on...they fit fine and they are a bit higher than the stock rings.

Back