Japanese LP Special double cuts?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottA

Reaction score
I'm looking for a TV yellow double cut.

I'm not limited. I'll go Gibson, Hamer, Tokai, Edwards, whatever as long as it is high quality and reasonably priced.

I want two P90's and a solid mahogany TV yellow double cut body. I'd like a tune-o-matic with a stop-bar (I prefer it for hand position) but would consider a wrap-around.

My question is:

What should I expect to find in Japanese copies? I think Tokai has made very limited quantities of 2 p'up double cuts. Tokai and Edwards both have single p'up Juniors in their current lineup. What else is/was available?

Anyone?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

look at this, Edwards has it , what you described...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Edwards-ESP-Les-Paul-SPL-DC-TV-Yellow-Nitro-Top-NEW_W0QQitemZ7408303113QQcategoryZ33038QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...but not cheap, you can grab a used Gibson DC (with the ****** laqueer) for the same price...

I have seen these on ebay before while looking for junior/special style guitars. This one here I've seen for about ?400, but last year I saw a new Gibson LP double cut faded (cherry red though not tv yellow) for ?500. At that price difference, when you add in shipping, and the fact you won't have a chance to try mail order guitars before you buy (which for me personally puts me off cause feel is such a big factor). I think that ?500 was a special offer at the time and that might've gone by now. So I wouldn't rule out having a look for the LP faded DC if you can still find it at the right price, and you are not gibson adverse. coda-music have one at "pre-price increase" price, so they could be avilable at good prices.

That Edwards model appears to be the E-LS-90LT, but the price is surprisingly low from what I can see. Normally Katana's prices are higher than the normal Japanese retail prices, but in this case it's less. It could be a different model, but from the description it looks to be the right one.

Anyway, as far as these guitars go I personally wouldn't worry one bit about ordering it w/o playing it as Edwards' quality is great. I bought my E-LP-105LTS/RE from Ishibashi on a whim and it's fantastic. It turned out to be a LOT better than I ever imagined & hopefully I'll be able to pick up another Edwards soon. The next one is def going to be an E-JR-95LT/RE which is a TV Yellow relic'd LP Junior or maybe a E-TE-98M/RE which is sorta like a relic'd Keith Richards "Macawber" Tele (both lacquer finished).

You could always e-mail a retailer like Ishibashi, Big Boss, or Ikebe with the model info and see what the best price is they can give you on it. Many times they'll give you a better deal on it than what's listed so it's worth a shot.

If you'd still rather try before you buy then it's worth checking into the LP Special Faded models, but be sure to try out a bunch as their quality seems to vary quite a bit. If you find a good one then it'll probably be quite good and they can be found used so deals are out there. If you don't mind buying used then keep an eye out for one of the early 90's Specials as they made a limited run of them and from what I remember the quality was very good. I think they made them in a run of 500'ish? Maybe it was more like 3000...meh, it's been a while so I don't recall offhand. Either way they were nice and can be had at good prices sometimes too.

With that said I think your best bet for a Made in USA LP Special-like guitar has to be the Hamer Special. Their workmanship is amazing and their guitars just ooze quality. A Special can be had for next to nothing (I've seen mint ones going in the $400-$900 range with most on the lower -mid side) and they're an amazing deal. Also if you can spare the dough check out their Korina Artist & 25th Ann. models. Both are the same Special shape, but with an arched top and some (maybe all) are semi-hollow with P-90s. They can usually be had for really good prices too, but a bit more than the Specials. Oh, and they also made some Korina Jr.'s and Specials too, but they command some decent bucks.

Anyway, hope this helped some and didn't confuse you any. :)

Hi ScottA,

I had a Gibson faded doublecut with 2 P90s last year. It sounded great, but I didn't like the feel. I didn't like not having a significant top coat on it. The fret edges were a little sharp, too. But, it did say 'Gibson' on the headstock, which counted for something and it did look killer!

If I were to get another yellow dc w/ p90s, I'd go for the Edwards. I have an LP copy from that that's is just great. Mine has a single piece mahagony back and I bet the DC has the same.

I'll echo what's been said, "You can't go wrong with Edwards!". :)

Wow, great responses! I had given up on this thread.

Too bad, I haven't been here for a few days and I clicked on that ebay link with 48 seconds left! LOL!

I agree. I'd take an Edwards over a Gibson faded. I've played a couple and they weren't bad, but lacking something. The older ones with the neck edge binding on the other hand, are pretty nice. My local shop has one (or had one a couple of weeks ago anyway) but it was way over-priced. There's a red one on US ebay right now with a few issues sitting at $400.

I think I'll wait awhile. I'm selling a couple of effects on ebay right now so I'll have a little more in my slush fund. I'm very interested in a TV yellow Edwards....

There's a turquoise Hamer on gbase, too. That's a little pricey as well.

More than likely I'll have another Japan trip in my work future so I might wait until then.

ScottA said:
.... I'm looking for a TV yellow double cut.

Why not for a single cut.

Left and right are MIK's. The middle one without bridge is a MIJ Tokai

pict3021large3jg.jpg

pict3020large7lb.jpg

Hey Togps!

That's an awesome looking trio! :p

What are they like? How do the MIKs compare to the MIJ? (What do you mean 'without bridge' on the middle one?)
How do the pickups and fit/finish compare between the models.

I notice you still have the plastic on the pickups. Do you play
them much? Are you trying to keep them mint? or what?

Thanks!

I realize that it is for historical accuracy, but why would anyone put a compensated bridge designed for a wound g-string on a guitar these days??

Notice the staggered spacing on the middle guitar in the photo above: high e is close, b is farther, then g is close, etc with low e being the farthest. This 4/2 stagger is for a wound g set (ie 4 wound, 2 plain). I would have to pull that off and put on something compensated with a 3/3 stagger (3 wound 3 plain) or something like a badass.

This bridge would be impossible to intonate with a modern set of strings!

ScottA said:
I realize that it is for historical accuracy, but why would anyone put a compensated bridge designed for a wound g-string on a guitar these days??

Notice the staggered spacing on the middle guitar in the photo above: high e is close, b is farther, then g is close, etc with low e being the farthest. This 4/2 stagger is for a wound g set (ie 4 wound, 2 plain). I would have to pull that off and put on something compensated with a 3/3 stagger (3 wound 3 plain) or something like a badass.

This bridge would be impossible to intonate with a modern set of strings!

Agreed 100 per cent - very bizarre. :) Thankfully the lightning bolt bridge with the compensation in the proper location for a plain G is starting to become a bit more common. I just bought one off eBay yesterday from guitarfetish .

Jim

Back