Is this a tokai goldstar please help?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markieb

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the registry and have really enjoyed looking through the posts at the superb Tokais you all own/play.

I too (believe!) I have a Tokai Goldstar but I cannot be sure as there is no headstock on it. I wondered if you could help me firstly identify it as a Tokai and then possibly date it. Any info would make me happy as, when you reach a certain age, you just need to know these things!

Please see this link for a selection of photos:

http://homepages.tesco.net/beez/album/

All I know is the following:

I bought the guitar on 22/9/1984 and was told it is a second hand Tokai (no more than that) - see receipt photo.

Details:

Neck:
Tuner keys are deluxe
Neck looks maple with skunk line
Think it is C profile neck (but not sure about the pofiles)
No decal
Has number 11=12 stamped at the base of the neck
Has crosshead neck rod

Body:
Bridge saddles are stamped final prospect
Pickups are grey with U stamp ? does this suggest a ST50?
Has 7=1 stamp (day/month produced?) plus initials FO (is this Flamingo Orange?
A250K stamped on the pots
Neck plate has 5 digits 11234
One ply pick guard (I think, but again don`t really know the difference)

Its the best guitar I have owned/played (in over 25 years) and is the only one for me.

Many thanks,

Mark

might be. I wouldn't pay much for it though (if its a good player) as there is no definitive proof that it's a Tokai

Everything looks ok to me! Normally the neck stamp and the body stamp are the same but I guess not always. The color is indeed flamingo orange, the switch, pots and U stamped pickups are original. Also the Deluxe stamped tuners and Final Prospec stamped saddles are correct. If you bought it secondhand in 1984 my guess is that it's a late Springy Sound (81-83) not a Goldstar. 1984 was the first year for the Goldstar. The late Springys also had Final Prospec stamped saddles and Deluxe stamped tuners, the earlier ones had both tuners and saddles stamped Tokai. I recently bought a 1982 Springy with Final Prospec saddles and Deluxe tuners. Here's a couple of pics of my early 1984 Goldstar, you can see that the pots, switch and brass plate between the pickguard and pots/switch are the same:

Image004.jpg

The date? code and color code (MR= metallic red) on mine:

Image002.jpg

As you can see everything looks ok on your guitar. The body and neck might be from two different guitars (considering the date codes) but I doubt it, the neck might be manufactured in december (11=12, day 11 - december?) and the body in january (7=1, day 7 - january?). They are both definitely Tokai. It's probably as you suggest a (T)ST-50.

I would buy a repro 7okai springy decal and put on the headstock because it's definitely an early 80's Tokai.

Mike

agree 100% with javelin every thing points to either a springysound or a very early goldstar. try holding the headstock at differant angles to the light as you may see a very faint outline of the old logo i would think that it could have been a 1983 springy as they had the horrid
block logo, and whoever had the guitar first probably got it rubbed off so as to put a fxxxxx logo on, as they did back then. but never got round to it. but you obviously think its a good axe as you have kept it for a long time, so just keep enjoying it. the springy 7okai decals are that are on ebay ar great
i put one on my 1980 springy, as someone that had the guitar before me tried to rub the logo off but left part of the old decal on it so i rubbed it off and put on a repro logo. ONE THING THOUGH IF YOU DO IT, TEST THE LAQUER. AS MY SPRINGY WAS NITRO CELLULOSE AND NOT POLYEURATHANE. HOPE THAT HELPS
mike

Thanks very much for your replies and advice guys I really appreciate it.

I believe it is a Tokai and what you have said seems to confirm this.

I read somewhere that Tokai used up various parts at the end of production runs and this could result in the mixed dates (although they are not that far apart anyway).

I will have another closer look at the headstock and let you know.

It is a good guitar and suits both my style of playing (blues/rock - Hendrix to Free etc) and the rest of the band like the sound too.

I will probably go for a new decal (the 7okai springy) at some point - but Mike could you tell me how I test the laquer type please (or the difference between them) ?

Thanks,

Mark

hi
you should be able to get a small touch up bottleof cellulose laquer from any motor factors like halfords if you are in the uk, take the neck from your guitar and test on the base of neck where it wont ever be seen, all you will need is a spot . and if your neck is sprayed with anything other than cellulose the part that you apply the laquer to will bubble slightly
hope that helps.
you must follow the instructions on the new logo and you will get a perfect job

Back