"Interesting" eBay "Goldstar" from a for

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pops Popper

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago there was a "Goldstar" on eBay in North London,it didn't sell first time,but second time around it went for just under ?300.
Here is the link,anyone remember it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230256435233&ssPageName=STRK:MEAFB:IT

OK,so to cut a long story short...I won it 'cos I was after a Tokai,had been buying a few JV strats of late,but I could remember in the early 80's people saying how good Tokai's were to play....so I looked at it in the shop paid the man,and took it home.
Then I jumped on your site and started to have a comparison of the axe,I thought I had a "Goldstar" in good condition,but upon looking at the serial number and comparing it to your info on dating,it appeared I had something quite different.So that was it! I was going at it all night until I could get to the bottom of the mysterious purchase that was supposed to be a "Goldstar"
It had a seven digit serial number that looked well old on the neckplate and it started with a 1.

"Alas!" I thought, "I've been well had!" "This isn't a 'Goldstar!' it's a bit of this and a bit of that"
Well,eighteen hours later I had a better idea of what I had boughtThanks to all the posts info and pictures on this site I could finally figure out,with a bit of help from above of course,that somewhere along it's history some smart Alec had done the usual "Let's make it look a bit more like a Fender" and took off the Tokai decals.So another chap ,somewhere a bit more recently had said "OK this is a Tokai but it's got no decals,so let's put some on and then I can get a bit more money for it".
So-sorry to drag it out,but it was a great all-nighter spent figuring this thing out-the last bloke who put the decals on had put the "Goldstar" decal on,but I could plainly see underneath the faded remains of an earlier 'Spaghetti' "S" decal.So by then I knew,I was onto summat.
So I took it apart totally,which didn't help at first,but then I could see it had "E" pickups with an "A" stamped scratchplate.So I read all that info up about pickups and stuff and still couldn't identify it!
Under the neck joint were no clues or serials,and all I could really find was the letters 6=9 GS A W...which just confused me even more.At this point I was going nuts at it,after ten hours of googling and poring over your site over and over again,I got a lucky break and found a Japanese promo poster listing a "Vintage" catalog poster that I noticed had the letters "GS" after the model number. "Aha! Wot is dis den?" Yup,that was the big clue that everything else fell into place with.
It had a v-neck,it had a skunk stripe,and "E" pickups with an "A" scratchplate,maple neck-but no model number on the last fret,and it was more than likely an "81" model judging by the seven digit serial,nailed it at last!

I went on all the Japanese guitar sites that had plenty of luverly Tokais for sale and found that I had actually bought an "ST 80GS" masquerading as a "Goldstar".
"Oooooh,that's nice"..........

Thanks to you all out there in Tokai world for the help in identifying my Vintage "Springy" and of course the next question would be "Anyone got any Springy decals for sale"....... :lol:
Sorry,haven't put up any pics,I'm not computer literate enough to figure out how you do it yet on your site,but if someone can explain then I'll post some!
Cheers a lot everyone!
BTW,anyone selling a JazzSound by any chance???????

Pops.

Hi Pops,
welcome,looks like a bargain. :D
For the pics,sign in to http://photobucket.com/?special_track=nav_logo and you can upload your pics to this site.Then copied the url and put it in your post.
Do you tested the springy its nitro finished?

Volker

Congrats on your purchase Pops Popper

You outbid me on that guitar :wink:

I looked at the photo's and thought that's no goldstar sound and decided to take a punt on it.

It's a 1981 ST-80 Springy Sound in Gold Sunburst to confirm this you should have :-

8 hole, single ply sctratch plate
Nitrocellulose paint
Hard V shape neck
non-magnetic tremolo block
bridge saddles stamped with the work Tokai
a round shaped string tree holder
Pickups stamped on the base with an E

Is there the faint traces of a number stamped at the end of the neck near the heal / neck pickup ??

If the seller had answered my questions it would have been mine :wink:

I do know where you can get the correct headstock decal, pm me for details.

Would you take some digital photo's of the above areas of the guitar and post them on here for the forum to verify that it is a ST-80.

Well done and welcome to the Tokai community :D

Chris

That's only 5 miles from me! I saw it, but didn't pay much attention as it's SB with maple. My loss, if thats an ST80 - well done! ST80s generally sell for somewhere around the ?800 mark, as I'm sure you've worked out.

Looking more closely now, I can see that the body does seem to be ash, but the crap pics meant I didn't really look before. The seller didn't do himself any favours with that ad.

8)

Mike

OK,nobody laugh,the seller was a gentleman from Germany who runs a Cas Converter type shop in Enfield.I can't believe I got one over on him,'cos if he wouldv'e known what the guitar was worth I wouldn't have got it for a steal.....:lol:
I'm posting the pics tonight,just taking it apart right now.

Obviously,he was way too busy to answer questions from the Tokai maniacs that frequent this site!
No seriously if he really would have known what he had,he'd had started the bidding way up,he was a shrewd character with a good nose for a buck...Fortunately-for me that is- this one escaped his beady eye!
Thanks again folks.
Here's the pics promised...Sorry,but I'm no David Bailey like.....

http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll317/PopsPopper/

Er....anybody want to sell an early Jazz Sound Bass????????????

Pops.

Hi Pops!

As Volker says this looks like a one-piece ash body. Very rare stuff, normally only found with ST100s. All the rest clearly points to an ST80.

So you probably got her for less then 30% of her real value! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers! Rup

I reckon this was God's good grace helping me pick up this bargain!
He must have felt sorry for me after I got all my effects pedals and a box of expensive mics etc. worth over ?3000 chucked out a couple of years ago by my ex-missus by mistake.
Haven't fully recovered yet from that loss,so this helps ease the pain a bit!

Guys,how can you tell if it's a one-piece body or not?
Cheers everyone for the knowledge!
Pops.

Pops Popper said:
Guys,how can you tell if it's a one-piece body or not?
Cheers everyone for the knowledge!
Pops.

It's a bit like a wig - look for the joins! They're often not easy to see, as Tokai tends to match the grain well.

My ST80:

131_3109.jpg

There's a join in the centre, but you have to look for it.

Mike,i agree with you,very often its difficult to see the joint.But the grainpattern on yours is very straight in the section where the joint have to be.This one have a nicely figured grain in the middle section,its difficult to say from a pic,but i belive its one piece.

Volker

Managed to snag a JazzSound! Anyone remember this Tokai on ebay a while back?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320258186058&_trksid=e11010.m204&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D8&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

I contacted the gent selling it and we did the deal out at Harrow-on-the-Hill tube station and now I got a bass to go with my strat.
Chrisheyes,Could you tell me where I could find those decals you were talking about earlier pls? Cheers.

Pops.

Back