Info from serial number...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabpal

Reaction score
Is there any way you can tell the model of a Tokai LC Custom by it's serial number?

Thanks, when i get the guitar i'll post some pics and maybe you guys can tell me. I thought it was an LC70 at first, but now not so sure. The serial indicates it was made in 2004 and it's an aged white lefty.

Ok, received the guitar today. I'll try and get some pics up soon... Its an ivory coloured Loverock Custom with gold hardware, open book headstock and 05 serial number. It also has Gotoh stamped tulip tuners and a surprise to me... fret edge binding! Any ideas so far? Pics added.

DSC00861.jpg

DSC00865.jpg

DSC00863.jpg

DSC00867.jpg

It looks like it's an LC85, but the pot knobs have been changed to gold.

Gorgeous guitar, don't normally like gold hardware but white and gold seem to go together nicely. I would have got one but I'd have been disappointed when I didn't sound like Randy Rhoads :lol:

I changed the knob pots(not a fan of speed knobs). Does the LC85 have fret edge binding? Also the tuners are different on this one.

Maybe it's the camera angle, but doesn't look the MIJ stamp and the headstock inlays to be out of center?

The stamp is often a bit wonky, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The LC85S has FEB and Gotoh tuners, yes.

It's not a fake as i checked the pickup routing and it has the squarish(is that a word?) routing in the pup cavities. After some research i discovered that Tokai didn't make a lefty LC85, but they make a lefty LC95... But the LC95 doesn't have FEB and it has the kidney bean type Gotohs'.

Yuck! The new knobs are horrible!

Why not look into some 70's Custom style inlaid knobs if speed knobs aren't your thing? Or even plain black top hats?

http://www.jhs.co.uk/guitartechparts.html#knobs

GT505 & GT507.

rabpal said:
I changed the knob pots(not a fan of speed knobs). Does the LC85 have fret edge binding? Also the tuners are different on this one.

My LC80S with serial number Starting 04089xx has also fret end bindings.

http://www.dvdplaza.fi/galleria/showphoto.php/photo/17711

Matti

Paladin2019 said:
Yuck! The new knobs are horrible!

Say what you think, don't hold back! :lol:. I do like the all black top hats... Bob(Tokai UK) reckons it's an L95S/L from 2005, so that would appear to be the logical model number. It's mainly the tuners that i'm wondering about, the ls95s' i've seen have the kidney bean shaped tuners... The search goes on...

Don't forget that an LC95S/L won't have the same model number as its righty opposite number; the righty will have been cheaper.

Also, the tuners are easy to change. I wouldn't base your search on them.

Ok i decided to end my curiosity once and for all, took the bridge pickup out and did a little sanding...and there it was, the answer to my question. It's an LC80S/L, sorted! Thanks for everyones input, you guys have been very helpful.

Latest posts

Back