'Hot rodding' my Strat.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Wow Wow

Looks as good on a strat as it does a car.

I bet CC Deville wishes that colour had been around 20 years ago. :D

Thanks.
I can't wait to start getting it back together. These GFS pickups are gonna really make this thing howl. I just hope Guitar Fetish reply to my emails and quick. I've had stuff off them before and they always send you an email advising you of despatch. This time, nothing. I'd better get them!!

I love chrome red too Orv!

I cheated anyway in the fact that the AM deluxe comes in tangerine, which is a spin on this colour.

My pickups are on their way (just got an email yesterday) and the neck, new aged pickguard and aged pickup covers along with this colour body all go really well together.

I'm just waiting for the lacquer to cure 100% before I start polishing and doing the shielding thing.

I really feel that this is my dream guitar in the making! :D

hey look ! a thread with no crying, name calling, cheap shots, low blows, gouging or biting...man what a relief eh.

That is already looking superb....can't wait to see the finished article. Can I be a bit cheeky and ask how much it will all cost when you're done?

This is definate inspiration food for a project that I have been wanting to do for ages now. I really like that finish, and I might actually have to make a note to myself about it for when the time of my project comes.

Nice work so far! Looking forward to more updates!

Well thanks very much for the compliments guys. I tried the aged parts up against the body along with my newly refinished/decalled neck today and I have to say I'm really excited at how this thing is gonna look when I'm finished.

SS. The guitar cost me ?175 5 years ago.

Material costs are as follows:

Sander sealer for neck ~ Free from a friend

Headstock decal ~ Free from a friend

Orange undercoat ~ ?10.95

Orange pearl coat ~ ?10.95

Lacquer ~ Free from a friend

Thinners for all the above ~ Free from a friend

Aged knobs/pup/switch covers ~ ?9 delivered from US

Aged pickguard ~ ?12 delivered from US

GFS premium overwound pickups ~ ?37 delivered from US

I make that just short of ?80 (around ?255 with the cost of the guitar) I HOPE it plays and sounds just as good as a very good US variant. If it doesn't, hey, I enjoyed doing it!

I hope to have this finished within a fortnight so I promise updates as soon as they happen.

Thanks again. :wink:

Deadman said:
I love chrome red too Orv!

I just did a bit of "hot rodding" too ... as of a couple hours ago, that Chrome Red Fender American Standard (rosewood fingerboard) has a brand new White Pearl pickguard. It looks pretty classy.

That sounds really nice Orv. You can't beat a bit of hot-rodding.

I love the american deluxe V neck in candy apple red with the gold anodized guard. I dunno if you've seen it but it's beautiful. I very nearly went with that over this (whacky) colour. Maybe next time!

I've just began the slow process of cutting back and polishing the lacquer. It's developing an even deeper, lustrous shine.

Photos of latest stages to follow soon. :wink:

Cheers for the extra info.

And even if it doesn't sound great (although I bet it will), its gonna look good enough to hang on the wall as a nice piece of art.

Deadman said:
I love the american deluxe V neck in candy apple red with the gold anodized guard. I dunno if you've seen it but it's beautiful.

Yeah, Deadman, I was just noticing those in the Fender 2006 Frontline catalog. Is the pickguard aluminum? I liked the Blonde one.

My 1995 MIJ 50's Tele has a V neck. I can't say the shape affects my playing in any way, postive or negative.

Cool. I want a V neck at some stage.

The pickguard is as you say anodized aluminium. Saves shielding it eh?

I love the blonde one too. With the gold pickguard it reminds me of an egg! Still. It's very nice indeed. :wink:

I'm still waiting for my new pickups to arrive!
GuitarFetish say that it must be a customs hold-up.
I'm very frustated......I MISS my Strat!!! :cry:

They came today.
Tonight I shielded the pickguard, fitted the new pups to the new guard and put the guitar back together.
Soldering is an art in itself I've found!

Tomorrow I'll fit my new Electro Harmonix strings, plug the ***** in and (hopefully) give it some welly...........

Photos to follow. :wink:

Evening gents.

Here's the final few photos. I've gotta say that these GFS overwounds are the greatest. Really fat texas sound. They break up beautifully and the clean sound is out of this world.

I enjoyed this project. How is yours coming along Bruce?

7aaa0fd7.jpg

86395353.jpg

de2d5ed9.jpg

9d543e61.jpg

Way to go deadman !!!

That looks really cool - the colour works really well with the white plate and aged knobs.

The cavity looks well insulated - what did you use on that? I have some copper self adhesive tape for my squier - but I doubt it'll give as much coverage as you have there.

Great work !!

Latest posts

Back