Help to recognize my 1980 Greco Super Real

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocorico

Reaction score
After a lot of reading, i'm not able to know exactly wich model I own. Is there any expert hear that can help me please?

Here are the pictures:

9rkf.jpg

pw9l.jpg

kw2x.jpg

oj2y.jpg

y2pk.jpg

j6uk.jpg

As you can see, the body has 2 pieces, and I read in the forum that the ones with the "super real" logo (mine has it) are "Mahogany one layer body", which I understand is only 1 piece, am I right?

It looks to me like it could be an EG-480 which is a semi-hollowbody design.
The early models all had 'Super real' on the headstock and the lower hollowbodies have nice looking flame veneer tops. It is a bit confusing.
The EGF-850 and above have real shell inlays and they had fret-edge binding.

To be sure, simply open up the control cavity and have a look. If you see a very large channel like this one it is an EG-480.

So, can you confirm that models like EGF850 are one piece body guitars?
This is what I found when I opened the controls:

x0qz.jpg

I was watching the 1980 catalogue and EG480 has no logo in the headshock. Where did you get this information?

And other questions, I'm not a guitar expert, how do I see "real shell inlays in my guitar?

Thanks

The information is from having owned several Super Real / Super Power / Super Sound models, and more importantly from the information here in the Tokai forum and from other members. Catalogs are basically snapshots of production at the time and actual models and features could change shortly after they were published.

From the control cavity I can see that it is the semi-hollow model so an EG-480. If you look at the toggle switch cavity it may be clearer to you if it looks like this where you can see that the body is hollow.

Despite what is in the catalog there were variations on the logos with some models of guitars having no logo, others having Super Real logos and then Super Power or Super Sound logos.

Enjoy the guitar, it looks to be in extremely nice condition!

Yeap! the body is semi-hollow. Thanks for the aclaration- one last question, do you know what gibson les paul model is this greco based on? i mean, read somewhere that greco egf are based on '59 les paul standard, do you know what model corresponds to eg480?

Thanks again

Back