Help please :) Reverb listing genuine?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I put an offer in on this EX50:

https://reverb.com/item/55688110-to...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=55688110

But then something didn’t quite make sense about the serial number, it’s 6 digits and printed in a place that other EX models aren’t. I’m happy with buying any of the counties of manufacture, but not keen on a fake. I’ve done a few hours research, but can’t find anything that conclusively says this isn’t a fake, nor anything similar. The Tokai registry has the serial on the list, but the other boxes are blank, so don’t link it to a model.

Thanks & merry Xmas x

My suspicion is that these are Korean. And possibly unauthorized.

May never know.

Check these out:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26798

SN 064770

lWW0dby.png

a8LaAWs.png

Hm4yst5.png

hHMVh4p.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/55688110-to...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=55688110

Thank you :)

That’s very interesting. Also seems difficult to get a solid on the fakeness I guess, due to what I’ve read about Tokai bookkeeping.

The comment about Korean parts assembled in China post-Korean manufacture period is interesting.

Yeah. I think those ones were made by Fine Corp and have a FC06 serial number.

If it were Japanese in 2006 it would be marked "Made In Japan".

It is Korean or Chinese. My bet is Korean, legit or not.

I added it to that other thread.

Less than 200 units apart from the LP above it.

Awesome thanks dude. Just wondering whether to go ahead with the purchase or bail out due to legitimacy concerns. I don’t want to fuel the fake scene.

That's your call. It was represented as Made In Japan which is not true.

If it was sold as a Korean guitar of unknown authenticity that would be more fair.

The Korean and Chinese models were all lower spec models. It may be legit, but it was never an expensive guitar.

And it's not one of the infamous Fakais. Those had decals with a serial number from 2003 and 2004 I believe. And the "a" in Tokai is closed on those as I recall.

Tokai was never clear about guitars that were made in Korea, so it will always be shrouded in some mystery I would say.

Tokai moved offshore production from Korea to China for lower cost models around 2005 so this is a transitional period with a lot of mystery surrounding it. As with other things Tokai.

You're welcome!

That whole period is very mysterious and confusing.

I started collecting examples of different weird serial numbers recently to try and sort it out. Slowly connecting some dots but still pretty mysterious.

Good luck whatever you do.

Thanks bud :)

I’ve sent the payment over since it doesn’t look like the fakes. I suppose there is a good chance it’s from this crossover period and that makes it interesting I guess. I can post detailed pics when she lands, insides, backs of pickups etc. Is there anything that would give us a clue?

Back