Help identifying springy sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe2517

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to forum and I'm hoping to buy my first Tokai soon. I've been looking at what my local guitar shop has listed as a 1982 Tokai Stratocaster but because the decal's been removed I've been having trouble working out what model Springy Sound it actually is and whether it was made in 1982. I do know that the serial number is L14612 and I've taken a few pictures of it:

http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/joe2517/library/Tokai?sort=3&page=1

Any help/advice is really appreciated.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Chances are it will be an ST-55. It looks as though it was Sonic Blue originally but has faded to a surf green-ish finish.
Body would be Alder, pickups should be grey bottom with a 'U' stamp.
Body will have stamps also (eg: 5=2 SO X) in the control cavity under the scratchplate. The 'L14612' serial number would have a rosewood fingerboard but the number would put it closer to either a late '82 or early '83.
Without all the stamp and pickup info, it is harder to be more precise.

Peter Mac

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help. The current list price is ?695 (about $1150) which seems quite expensive for one of the cheaper models. Is this a good deal; how does the ST-55 compare with the more expensive models?

Cheers

Hi Joe,
The St-55 is the same spec as an ST-50. It's the custom colour that adds the extra 5,000 yen to the price.
Overall, ST-50's are the workhorse of Tokai. Nearly all bodies are multi-piece Alder(early ones also used Sen) and cut and routed the same as the high-end models. The major difference is really the pickups and the laquer.
ST-40~60 used poly and higher models used N/C.

For that price, I could buy an ST-80. Way too expensive. I would expect around GBP 400~470 depending on the originality, condition and colour

Peter Mac

Back