Hello from Ontario, Canada! Ft. my Burny 1989 Firebird V

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnys141

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've read the posts on the forum here and there but nice to finally join :)

I've recently started the search for one of my dream guitars - an MIJ Goldtop with P90s and a lacquer finish. It's gonna be a long one probably but I'm hoping I can learn more about MIJ guitars here.

Image of my Firebird below (I'll probably be selling it to fund the Goldtop. Hate to see it go cause it's sooo cool)

tempImagetdhO41.jpg

Welcome. And as far as the all gold Tokais go, the LS 75S I believe had a polyurethane finish. I don’t know of any Tokais that are all gold that had a lacquer finish. But I could be wrong.

Welcome. And as far as the all gold Tokais go, the LS 75S I believe had a polyurethane finish. I don’t know of any Tokais that are all gold that had a lacquer finish. But I could be wrong.
Honestly, I'm re-evaluating the All Gold thing cause the lacquer finish is more important to me. I just love the way lacquer can age and check. I'm also looking into a Greco Super Real from 1980 - EF800GS.

What I really wish I could find is an MIJ Goldtop that looks like the image below but I doubt anything made back then would age and check like this. Might just have to find a nice gold top and get it refinished...

bdc39a2c4f61a08e8a7ff77c84e1b508794fca.jpg

I need to try to find the source that mentioned that some lacquer finishes were lacquer and poly and some were all lacquer finishes.

I need to try to find the source that mentioned that some lacquer finishes were lacquer and poly and some were all lacquer finishes.
I have actually seen some burny and Greco goldtops with lacquer but many without… there’s definitely some other variable in play.

Honestly, I'm re-evaluating the All Gold thing cause the lacquer finish is more important to me. I just love the way lacquer can age and check. I'm also looking into a Greco Super Real from 1980 - EF800GS.

What I really wish I could find is an MIJ Goldtop that looks like the image below but I doubt anything made back then would age and check like this. Might just have to find a nice gold top and get it refinished...
Nice Burny FIrebird. Here's a guy in Finland selling a 1980 Greco EG800 GS for a crazy price:

Your search for a vintage MIJ LP gold top with checking & P90s will indeed be a long one. I have a 1980 Tokai LS80 GT with checking and lightweight @ 8.4 lbs.:

1713986829685.png

Nice Burny FIrebird. Here's a guy in Finland selling a 1980 Greco EG800 GS for a crazy price:

Your search for a vintage MIJ LP gold top with checking & P90s will indeed be a long one. I have a 1980 Tokai LS80 GT with checking and lightweight @ 8.4 lbs.:

View attachment 58035

That is a very nice example! And yes, it's gonna be arduous but I'm not opposed to finding something close (a good gold top with humbuckers that I can get refinished). How did yours age like that?
Oh and that Facebook link isn't working.. anyway you could share the price and a picture?

That is a very nice example! And yes, it's gonna be arduous but I'm not opposed to finding something close (a good gold top with humbuckers that I can get refinished). How did yours age like that?
Oh and that Facebook link isn't working.. anyway you could share the price and a picture?

The Tokai LS-80 GT already had the worn top when I bought it used. I suspect it's regular wear & tear from being heavily played for the past 43 years.

Looks like the Facebook link has been taken down. I recall he was asking $3K EUR for the Greco EG800 GS.

I used to own in 1980 Greco EG 800 GS. Don’t know if it had a nitro lacquer top or not. It was pretty but I’m not sure it’s the same lacquer formula. Seemed different to me than the nitro I have on my old Gibson.

I used to own in 1980 Greco EG 800 GS. Don’t know if it had a nitro lacquer top or not. It was pretty but I’m not sure it’s the same lacquer formula. Seemed different to me than the nitro I have on my old Gibson.
How did it play compared to the Gibson?

Back