Headstock design

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makaze

Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering if this sort of inlay was Japanese model only, can someone with catalogues look for 1995-98 lc's with this design cos I can't find anything. Was this a copy of a gibbo design?

headstock.jpg

thanks

Same on this one, does the blue MOP inlay on the fret board inlays appear often??

lc-85.jpg

If anyomne knows someone with one of these please steal it for me.

That type of headstock is lifted straight from the LP Customs, as far as I know. Very ornate, flashy design in the middle, binding everywhere, far too over-the-top for me. But it's what Gibson did.

Mike

Here's the original design they copied it from:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

apart from the split center block it seems to be the same ...

Not everyones cup of tea but I love the yellowy white one, I missed out on it, had beautiful blue segments in the inlays. I was on the look out for a cheapish LP and wish I'd bought it. I managed to get a black one for 1/3rd of the price I was gonna pay for the white one.

Do you think the inlays would have been original tokai done or is that something luthiers are able to do??

makaze said:
Same on this one, does the blue MOP inlay on the fret board inlays appear often??

lc-85.jpg

I think the blue segments are probably abalone, but I don't know if they're original. I've never seen a triangular switch ring either, so perhaps a previous owner had a luthier add some details to it.

Personally, I do like the Customs. I recently bought an old plywood Hondo copy from the 70's that is 100% trash, but have found it very useable for an extra slide tuning. I just put on some new tuners to replace the sorry mish-mash that came with it.

I also just noticed that the Hondo headstock inlay is back to front :roll:

2993472_437791.jpg

makaze said:

lc-85.jpg

I saw that guitar for-sale on Yahoo Japan, or one exactly like it. It was described as a custom order direct from Tokai.

Thanks for the info.

John it was on Yahoo, I just kept seeing it as I browsed, at the last minute I fell in love with it but didn't have enough ? in my account to carry on bidding. If I hadn't been bidding the guiy would have got it for 20,000 yen, by the time I pulled out i think we were at 50,000.

Oh Well.

:p The plywood hondo, flash back time to all the dross I had as a kid :roll:

A young lad tried to part ex a 1980's pointy headstock epiphone strat with me, he swore it was a 1940's vintage epiphone :eek:

Flash back to the women who used to own A1 music manchester, I got ?60 for a pair of orange amps and ?100 for a gretch, sweet.

makaze said:
Flash back to the women who used to own A1 music manchester, I got ?60 for a pair of orange amps and ?100 for a gretch, sweet.

Ahhhhhhhhh, I remember going down into the bowels of that shop to the guitar room to oggle at the aniversary and walnut strats in the glass case :p

She used to howl down the intercom ' Andy, can you go to the guitar room please, someone is playing 'Stairway to Heaven' :evil:

Latest posts

Back