Harley Benton Amps from Thomann

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're a good man Dave!! :D

Start a new thread, and make sure you take plenty pics during the install.

chrisheyes said:
Has anyone tried one of the 5 Watt all Valve amps yet ?

I don't have tried the HB but I own a Blackheart Little Giant Top ... seems that they're playing in the same ballroom ...
Switchable from 5 to 3 Watts ... I prefer the 3 Watts ... beautiful sound after having swapped the tubes ... :wink:
Those little amps are a big bang for the buck ... :lol:
Roger

I had an Epi Valve Junioir arrive yesterday, really very impressed with how it sounds. I will confess to being a reformed watt chaser - so it seemed odd to be getting an amp with only a 5 watt output, but the thing has such a cool bluesy tone that extends to a nice crunch - admittidly there's a hint of crackle at the highest setting - other than that it's flawless.

Given it only set me back 74GBP it's a stunning deal.

DaveWW said:
John,
You're such a smooth talker. :wink:
SB2 Power Scaling Kit on it's way from London Power. I asked them if it could be fitted by a novice. They more or less said yes and that I only needed to find 3 key points on the amplifier and I could phone/contact them for help if necessary. :D
Dave

How's the powerscaling install going Dave?

I just modded my brothers Epi VJ (Version 1) with a kit from an eBay seller called 'alnicomagnet'. It sounds fantastic, screaming and wailing like a banshee and very Champ like when kept low. Class act. The cabinet's too small, of course, as is the speaker, so there's lots of rattling and farting at volume but it really opened out when hooked up to my 12inch extension.

Make no excuses for the pun. :)

Now that I managed to not f**k up his amp I think I'll buy one myself and mod it, heh.

JohnA said:
DaveWW said:
John,
SB2 Power Scaling Kit on it's way from London Power. I asked them if it could be fitted by a novice. They more or less said yes and that I only needed to find 3 key points on the amplifier and I could phone/contact them for help if necessary. :D
Dave

Hi John,

Well the truth is that I've had a few issues - silly ones. I managed to connect up to the power transformer rather than the output transformer :oops: I also managed to blow a couple of resistors.... :oops:

Anyway It's all back together and working fine again :D plus with a bit of help and encouragement from alnicomagnet I hope to get it installed, and working properly) this weekend.

I've taken lots of pic's etc and it really is a fairly simple kit but the instructions are a bit unclear for a novice like me.

So I still intend to post the results on a new thread along with loads of info/pics etc - Stay tuned.

Dave

JohnA said:
DaveWW said:
John,
Dave

Hi John,

Well the truth is that I've had a few issues - silly ones. I managed to connect up to the power transformer rather than the output transformer :oops: I also managed to blow a couple of resistors.... :oops:

Anyway It's all back together and working fine again :D plus with a bit of help and encouragement from alnicomagnet I hope to get it installed, and working properly, this weekend.

I've taken lots of pic's etc and it really is a fairly simple kit but the instructions are a bit unclear for a novice like me.

So I still intend to post the results on a new thread along with loads of info/pics etc - Stay tuned.

Dave

Breaking it and fixing it is even more impressive than installing it correctly first time :D Keep us posted!

I have a Valve Junior (Mk1) and got a kit from AlnicoMagnet. Great instructions and I managed to do all sorts of things - fix the hum, add an 8ohm speaker out, put a standby switch in etc. And it all worked first time. He even gives you four output tone choices in the circuit - from 'Clean Fender' through Dirty Fender, Clean British and Dirty British (I think). I have the Dirty Fender option and it sounds great. If only there was a reverb version of the amp.

It's a great amp for bedroom valve fun (so to speak) but then hook it up to a bigger cab (I have a Marshall 2x12 and a Session 2x10 too) and it sounds great. Surprisingly loud. I've actually used it for rhythm guitar in a pub gig, with a Boss/Fender Deluxue pedal into it for some reverb and a bit of a boost. It coped with the volume fine.

I now have a full-on Weber kit of a Fender Blackface Vibroverb - waiting for me to have a quiet week (or more) this autumn/winter... I've not dared start it yet...

What's a Blackface Vibroverb? The later 1x15 version that SRV used?

And could you describe that Deluxe pedal for me? I've seen them advertised - how does it compare with, say, a Tubescreamer?

Mike

stratman323 said:
What's a Blackface Vibroverb? The later 1x15 version that SRV used?

And could you describe that Deluxe pedal for me? I've seen them advertised - how does it compare with, say, a Tubescreamer?

Mike

The Deluxe pedal is not an overdrive, it's an amp emulation pedal supposed to make a clean channel on an am sound like a 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb. Never tried one.

Hi, it sounds like you did similar Alnicomagnet mod's to the ones I did on my Fender Champ 600. I found his stuff and the instructions really good as well.

Keep us up to date with your progress on your Weber Kit.

Dave

The Weber kit is waiting for a very quiet week when I can get the board wired and soldered up correctly, then another week to wire up all the controls and then probably another week to make sure I don't blow it (and myself) up as I slowly turn it on... :)

The Boss/FDRR pedal is a great little thing. Emulated sound of the amp, plus a great tappable tremolo and reverb. The reverb tries a _little_ bit too hard to be authentic, with seemingly random reverb 'dwoop' and 'spang' noises, but I love it as something to either run into a dry amp for a bit of air and tone, or even straight into a jam-night PA. It's not perfect, but it's way easier than turning up with an amp that needs to be mic'd up.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60a.htm#6A14H

This is the Weber Kit - it's a 6A14 kit if that helps narrow things down. I only assumed it was a Blackface Vibroverb as it has vibrato and reverb... :) And a black face...

Back