Greco SG - pics & questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow! That's beautiful!

what's the serial number?

really looks like mine, except my tuners are bell type chromed and didn't have the original PUs anymore.

yep, we have the same problem Bro... it's not listed in any Greco Catalogue.

did Gibson release any SG with amp type knobs like ours?

Ducati said:
Thanks for the comments :)

Don't have any plans to sell it at the moment, I really enjoy having it around the house.

The witch hat knobs are correct for an early 60's Gibson SG:

Photo1_c9d3d.jpg

But I did notice the pickguard screw spacing on mine is not correct.

are my eyes are deceiving me? I don't think those are witch type knobs, forgive me..I may be wrong.

yes its a superreal then, about the nicest SG there is ...i have one in black an SS-600...yours looks like an SS-700 without the vibrato..

GrecoSG002.jpg

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/generalunrest/Greco%20SG-800%20SG%20SuperReal%20Black%201980/

Ducati said:
villager said:
yes its a superreal then, about the nicest SG there is ...i have one in black an SS-600...yours looks like an SS-700 without the

no, I think it's not. The super real serie start during the year 80. (super real are end of 80-start of 82 ) Part of the production from that year is not super real. Especially if serial starts with a letter.

At least, this model is not in the catalogues from the super real era.

toybitz said:
what model is mine? J76xxxx...

same specs as Ducati's?
during th mid 70's, there's mostly 3 models: the SG 600, with the gibson losange in the middle of the head, the SG 400, with a bigsby, and the SG 360, with no gibson losange but a binding around the head.

true but i have a few models that aren't in the catalogues..however you are correct that superreal started in mid 1980...although I have a superreal with a 1979 neck stamp on it!!!

in that case its a SS-600 from the 79 catalogue made in the beginning of 1980..agree?...but the headstocks wrong for 79....thats why i think superreal non catalogue model..

villager said:
true but i have a few models that aren't in the catalogues..however you are correct that superreal started in mid 1980...although I have a superreal with a 1979 neck stamp on it!!!

in that case its a SS-600 from the 79 catalogue made in the beginning of 1980..agree?...but the headstocks wrong for 79....thats why i think superreal non catalogue model..
maybe a first run to give it a try or something like that. :)

Thanks for the replies!

I did some magnifying of the catalog images from 1980 and 1981 and maybe I found the answer? My guitar looks closest to the 1980 SS600, with some slight differences from the catalog image. I am not too sure what is the Super Real series, maybe I need to look a little more for a catalog.

i76115_1980ss600.jpg

1980 SS600
Small Headstock
Crown Headstock Inlay
Trapezoid fingerboard inlay
6 screws on pickguard
Bell trusscover

1981 SS600
Bigger Headstock
Different Headstock Inlay
Block fingerboard inlay
Only 5 screws on pickguard
Harmonica bridge
Different trusscover shape?

Anyway, this is probably all silly because the guitar is great and I love it dearly.

villager said:
whats the answer then?

Just as with women, do not try too hard to understand MIJ guitars from the golden age, merely enjoy the time you have with them.

Latest posts

Back