Greco SG damage - Rinkya purchase

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiftywatt

Reaction score
I have been using Rinkya for around 4 years now and have acquired some fantastic Greco Mint Collection models.. mainly LP's, SG's, Explorers and such. I've probably done over a dozen Rinkya transactions. Never had a problem until yesterday. Purchased a minty clean '88 "61 SG" replica. YJ auction even had very detailed photos. Transaction went smoothly, shipping via EMS is what I always go with. It ain't cheap but it is fast. Rinkya seem to re-pack all guitars as their methods are always very careful. loosened strings, and the carton and tape is always uniformly the same. So I unbox my '88 Greco cherry red SG and start looking it over. It appears to be in virtually flawless shape until I notice the paint separation along the neck/body joint and a structural crack nearby. This guitar cannot be tuned to pitch as the crack opens up. Not good and I am stumped as to what to do. I suspect this guitar was dropped during repacking causing the damage. No idea if EMS shipping includes insurance for full value or not. This is not intended to be a horror story. I am really sharing this to see if any of you know what my next step should be. I have contacted my CC co. as well as Paypal as of last night. I am not sure if a refund or insurance claim on the damaged item is even possible. This is uncharted territory for me. I've bought MANY Greco LP's that were shipped in the padded gigbags with NO damage whatsoever. There was no damage to the shipping carton either. Guitar was packed perfectly. Again I suspect mishandling during the re-pack process prior to shipment out of Japan. Perhaps I am SOL.

fiftywatt said:
I have been using Rinkya for around 4 years now and have acquired some fantastic Greco Mint Collection models.. mainly LP's, SG's, Explorers and such. I've probably done over a dozen Rinkya transactions. Never had a problem until yesterday. Purchased a minty clean '88 "61 SG" replica. YJ auction even had very detailed photos. Transaction went smoothly, shipping via EMS is what I always go with. It ain't cheap but it is fast. Rinkya seem to re-pack all guitars as their methods are always very careful. loosened strings, and the carton and tape is always uniformly the same. So I unbox my '88 Greco cherry red SG and start looking it over. It appears to be in virtually flawless shape until I notice the paint separation along the neck/body joint and a structural crack nearby. This guitar cannot be tuned to pitch as the crack opens up. Not good and I am stumped as to what to do. I suspect this guitar was dropped during repacking causing the damage. No idea if EMS shipping includes insurance for full value or not. This is not intended to be a horror story. I am really sharing this to see if any of you know what my next step should be. I have contacted my CC co. as well as Paypal as of last night. I am not sure if a refund or insurance claim on the damaged item is even possible. This is uncharted territory for me. I've bought MANY Greco LP's that were shipped in the padded gigbags with NO damage whatsoever. There was no damage to the shipping carton either. Guitar was packed perfectly. Again I suspect mishandling during the re-pack process prior to shipment out of Japan. Perhaps I am SOL.

Let's see some pictures.... always helpful with a nice writeup like yours.

Here is the result of good packing.
No refunds or what so ever as far as I know
850Junk.jpg

I'm happy I have my own people packing for me!!!
Probably over a thousand guitars sent by now but never any damages (apart from one that was my own fault....lesson learned, don't put a LP in a Hagstrom case).

I don't even want to know what that Super Real headstock came from! :(

RyanC said:
I don't even want to know what that Super Real headstock came from! :(

Don't worry!!
It was just a EGF850 :D

Another friend of mine who has bought a lot through Rinkaya had a damage rate on app 15%.
At the time the Yen was so cheap that he didn't care but these days he doesn't use their service.

FWIW, I was under the impression that EMS shipping had insurance baked into the high cost. Keep us posted - good luck.

between (shipped) guitars I have received & those I have sent, I have yet to have a broken head stock, and most are shipped without a hard case.

I'm talking several hundred guitars over the course of many years, not just a few guitars .........

the worst I had was a Kluson style tuner that had the two screws on the head stock reverse dislodged; not a real problem ..............

I have been very fortunate

Of course when I ship a guitar, I package them to survive WWIII, and again, most without the benefit of a hard case 8) .................

If you bought the guitar from a private seller you probably won't get a penny since more or less all sellers use the "sold as is" or "no claim no return" statues on their auctions (easy way for the seller to go free from negative feedback).

Rinkaya of course takes an advantage of this:
"WE DO NOT HELP YOU MAKE CLAIMS FOR:

Items that are marked JUNK, AS-IS, or NO CLAIM in your auctions.

Electronics that do not work for any other reason aside from shipping mishandling.

Items claimed after 7 days of arrival. You must make your claim immediately, in a timely fashion.
4) Fraudulent claims

Edit: isn't it really hard to know if they still have the shipping damage in mind when they write about items that has been sold as junk, as is or no claim no return?
My guess is that since they must prove that it was the Post office that damaged the shipped item it can't be an item from a seller who sold it as junk, as-is or no claim no return. Then the Post Office will just claim that the item was broken before they recieved it.

".

Never had any damage to any of mine..... but I did have one Tokai SG75 (or equivalent) in a gorgeous walnut finish (and I hate walnut) go missing after it arrive in San Francisco from Japan a couple of years ago - really pissed me off because I wanted that guitar. Think I bought it from Katana - he refunded me in full and took the claim up with EMS / USPS.

Still haven't gotten over that one :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil:

EMS does have insurance coverage on the declared amount of the guitar 100%! That is why it costs so much as it is partially due to the speed of delivery and the coverage of up to 200K Yen.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ems/service/damage_en.html

However it can be a hassle proving it was done during shipping unless ti was opened at the post office after pickup or in front of the rep who delivered it. Was their damage to the box on the outside at all? Dispute it man as I know 100% that there is coverage. I have had only 11 guitars shipped to me so far and they are always packed the same, heavily wrapped with bubble wrap and surrounded by paper and air bags and I have yet to have an issue. Only one of the was shipped in a case others without anything and a few in gig bags. I will be buying a case to have my Chandler shipped in for sure, I just do not want to take a chance on such a rare limited guitar.

Sorry to hear dude. That sucks. I've haven't had any problems with Rinkya either...but it's bound to happen at some point. Make sure you contact Rinkya as soon as possible anyway and tell them what happened. Can't hurt. Ask them about EMS insurance as well. The pics prove that it was clean when it left the seller. Just try all your options and in the end take it to a lutheir and see what they say. I'm sure it could probably be glued and repairs like that are usually stronger than ever...probably not what you had in mind but try not to stress too much.

marcusnieman said:
Let's see some pictures.... always helpful with a nice writeup like yours.

Here are a couple that I took this afternoon. Really a dang shame as the guitar is really flawless aside from the damage. Never seen a cleaner Greco '61 SG replica.

Greco_SG_crack_04.jpg

Greco_SG_crack_01.jpg

Yeah I would be amazed if the body cracked from the neck having been pushed up. If so then that neck joint and glue job is the strongest I have ever seen! I bet you it is a poly stress crack from it flexing. Can you try to flex it a bit and see if you can see wood damage?

Udonitron said:
Yeah I would be amazed if the body cracked from the neck having been pushed up. If so then that neck joint and glue job is the strongest I have ever seen! I bet you it is a poly stress crack from it flexing. Can you try to flex it a bit and see if you can see wood damage?

No no no!!
It is fully normal for a SG with the neck joint like a 60-63 to break like that. I have had a Gibson SG from 1960 that fell straight in the floor and it cracked around the neck joint and not up at the head.
And I have seen plenty that had the same damage

It is a well known SG type of damage.

Koubayashi said:
Udonitron said:

No no no!!
It is fully normal for a SG with the neck joint like a 60-63 to break like that. I have had a Gibson SG from 1960 that fell straight in the floor and it cracked around the neck joint and not up at the head.

Ah OK...what I mean was I am surprise that the impact crack spread into the body instead of the crack happening where the neck was set., I.E. the neck popping out of the pocket etc. Sorry for the confusion

Udonitron said:
Koubayashi said:
Udonitron said:

No no no!!

Ah OK...what I mean was I am surprise that the impact crack spread into the body instead of the crack happening where the neck was set., I.E. the neck popping out of the pocket etc. Sorry for the confusion

I see :D
But it is fully normal for SGs to crack like this.
Especially those with the 60-63 neck joint type.

of course it is possible that it is only the finish that crack on this one. it it impossible to tell from a pic.
But my experience tells me that the wood is cracked too.
The cracks on this SG are like a school example.

Udonitron said:

I think it means that the neck/body glue joint is stronger than the thin wood of the body around the joint.

holy CRAP Batman :eek:
I near about barfed when I saw those pics :cry:

good thing you have some of the photos from the listing that shows no damage

I hope that someone cooperates with you on that claim Brian ............ good luck :wink:

Latest posts

Back