Greco Ordermade Les Pauls

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmarsh

Reaction score
Does anyone know what these Greco Ordermade Les Pauls are? Was this Greco's custom shop or something else altogether? I notice this example does not have dry, doubletrick, or screamins. I wonder what they are. Also I notice a lot of refurbs on fleebay...hope they're doing a good job on them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Ordermade-Greco-1981-made-Super-power-custom-MIJ-/110625801696?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item19c1cfc5e0

First one I've seen with the "ordermade" stamps. Pickups look like Maxon, maybe u-1000. Neck tenon does not extend into the pickup cavity. It might extend under, like the Super Reals from that time period, but I wouldn't bet on it. Nice fretboard inlays and custom binding. Finish might be nitro.

This 'order made' guitar, likely to be order made at the shop where it was purchased.
A Super Power would be a EG500, the colour it is, Black Sunburst (BS), was only available on EG800+, the split block inlays on no EG model, the pickups probably UD's (could be higher), brass nut instead of bone.

I think the Black Sunburst was a popular colour to choose, but was not available in the lower models.

My guess is that the order made items were, colour (BS), block inlays (split) and brass nut, it's interesting, because the original buyer would have bought the guitar for 50,000 yen base price plus add on's.

But if they spent 30,000 yen extra would have bought a better model in the EG800 that comes with nitro.

So, i don't think the original buyer spent too much extra,

Of more interest,
The headstock inlay is split diamond, which tells me it's a left over 1980 neck, the guitar has a february 1981 serial, the pickup also have a early 1981 serial stamp.
I have had a guess, that Japan tends to release new models and catalogues in the Japan summer, which would be the middle of the year.

That is why the 1981 catalogue shows the models with a flower pot inlay, rather than the split diamond inlays that are displayed in the 1980 catalogue.

Maybe the same with Tokai etc too...just a guess.

I'd love to know what kind of pickups those are.

I've got a December 81 super real EGC1000 which is suppose to have Dry Z's but has unstamped pickups. Those are the closest looking one's I've seen to mine. The gold pole pieces. But mine don't have any numbers on them at all.

I LOVE the sound of them. And so far I've never seen any pictures of any Greco or Maxon pickups that have come close to them. Really the closest I've seen in terms of pure look are the dry Z's but they always have silver pole pieces. So these ones are interesting.

Does anyone have any U1000 pictures?

actually I just found some on japan axe and they don't look like the U1000's posted there at all.

soundcreation said:
I've got a December 81 super real EGC1000 which is suppose to have Dry Z's but has unstamped pickups. Those are the closest looking one's I've seen to mine. The gold pole pieces. But mine don't have any numbers on them at all.

I LOVE the sound of them. And so far I've never seen any pictures of any Greco or Maxon pickups that have come close to them. Really the closest I've seen in terms of pure look are the dry Z's but they always have silver pole pieces. So these ones are interesting.

I have a 1980 EGC1000 with Dry Z's. They have gold covers / gold screws. This is the Black Beauty model, not a sunburst finish custom.

Mick51 said:
soundcreation said:

I have a 1980 EGC1000 with Dry Z's. They have gold covers / gold screws. This is the Black Beauty model, not a sunburst finish custom.

Interesting. Mine is the burst like in the add with gold hardware. Pick ups look like this...

DSC05538.jpg

Which until I saw that add I had never seen pictures quite the same. Always some small difference. And all the dry Z's have silver pole's not gold like on mine. But then none of the other greco model pickups ever seem to look close to mine except the Dry Z's. So that add is interesting cause those look exactly like mine except mine have no stamp.

soundcreation said:
Mick51 said:
soundcreation said:

Interesting. Mine is the burst like in the add with gold hardware. Pick ups look like this...

DSC05538.jpg

Which until I saw that add I had never seen pictures quite the same. Always some small difference. And all the dry Z's have silver pole's not gold like on mine. But then none of the other greco model pickups ever seem to look close to mine except the Dry Z's. So that add is interesting cause those look exactly like mine except mine have no stamp.

Interesting, I sold a controversial (because of my dumb *** description) 1981 Greco EG1000C-BS (Black Sunburst), that was dated either november or december 1981, that has the original pups, same as yours soundcreation.
I have owned a RR95K with Dry 1982 pups, and the EG1000 had better sustain, and just sounded much more clearer.
I also pointed out previously, that of all the late 1981 EG1000C I have seen, none of the pups were stamped Z or had the serial number, but, all late 1981 EGF1200 did!!!.....why???? it's still a mystery.
The 1981 EGF1200 is listed with DRY pups and the EG1000C is listed with DRY pups as well.

The Order Made guitar has a Feb 1981 date and the pups are also early....my guess...they could be anything.

I have seen another Greco guitar with Order Made stamp on the neck pocket of a BOM model, I wanted it, but didn't bid high enough, recently sold...it had a solid flame top..lovely flame top...AAA+

So, we don't know if the ebay guitar is Order Made by the buyer, or the if the shop requested a special run like that.

Latest posts

Back