Greco EX-800HB

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currypowder

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. I just picked up a rather beat up Greco Explorer off of ebay. It's only the second one I've seen in this configuration (black, body & neck binding, crown inlays). I've only seen it mentioned in the 79 catalog, but this one is an 82. Has original Double Trick pickups.

As you can see from the pics, someone has abused this baby by applying some pink paint, then removing it with something like a paint scraper, leaving a bunch of pretty deep scratches front and back. Before I got it, I thought I would see how much of the damage could be buffed out. However, now that I have it in hand, I think I'm just going to keep it as is, showing all of its battle scars. I put a fresh set of strings on it, did a minor setup (it didn't need much), and started playing. It plays great with no buzzing anywhere on the neck with the action just where I like (moderately low). Also, the double trick pickups sound great through my amp (Hughes & Kettner Duotone Combo). Not too harsh or dark, but just right either clean or with a moderate amount of distortion. And as a bonus, it's pretty light at 8.5 pounds. I think this one is going to become one of my faves, especially when playing out, no need to worry about dinging it up.

07f6_3.jpg

0b1e_3.jpg

0993_3.jpg

Double Trick pickups were high-end pickups! Here's some info Japanstrat posted on another forum:

1982/1983 pickup prices
Dry 20,000 Yen
Double Trick 18,000 Yen
The Groove 16,000 Yen
Screamin' 14,000 Yen
Hot Lick P-90 8,000 Yen

EG58-120 DRY
EG-59-70 DOUBLE TRICK
EG-56-60 HOT LICK
EG-59-50 SCREAMIN
EG59-45 SCREAMIN
EJR54-50 HOT LICK
SS63-70 DOUBLE TRICK
SS63-50 HOT LICK
EG59-65 SCREAMIN
JP-55 SCREAMIN
EGC95K DRY
EGC68-50 SCREAMIN
JS-98K DRY
JS-65 DRY
JS-55 SCREAMIN
RR95K DRY
RR65 DRY
RR55 SCREAMIN
EGC58-100 GROOVE
EGC68-80 DOUBLE TRICK
EGC57-60 SCREAMIN
PC-98K DRY

Yeah.... I was :eek: eyeballing :eek: that one on E-Bay also... just did not pull the trigger.... glad to hear a forum member bought it and all is well.... CONGRATS!!

I had been looking for this exact model for some time to be a sister to a Black Bound & Crowned 79 Hamer Sunburst. I've even put in a couple of requests to guitar sellers in Japan to no avail.

I knew they existed as it's in the 79 Greco Catalog and there was one back in January that was snagged before I could get to it. I've talked to the buyer of that one, and it simply made me want one even more as he loves his. That one was much cleaner, and I'm pretty sure he paid less than I did

So even though this one was in much worse cosmetic condition, I felt it was pretty rare, so I might not get another chance to get one anytime soon. I had a top proxy bid quite a bit higher, and was quite pleased when it came in at $600 shipped (I had a 10% ebay coupon that helped a little). The seller shipped it right away, and it only took 3 days to get to me from Japan!

JohnA said:
marcusnieman said:
JohnA said:
marcusnieman said:
Cool...good info John.

Don't give me the credit, it's all Japanstrat's work :D

Okay...never mind.

Good job japanstrat.

I said don't give me ALL the credit, you could let me have some :wink:

Good God man, make up your mind! :wink: And you didn't say "All", you said "The"

marcusnieman said:
JohnA said:
marcusnieman said:
JohnA said:
marcusnieman said:
Cool...good info John.

Don't give me the credit, it's all Japanstrat's work :D

Okay...never mind.

Good job japanstrat.

I said don't give me ALL the credit, you could let me have some :wink:

Good God man, make up your mind! :wink: And you didn't say "All", you said "The"

So I did :oops: :D

that's a nice looking axe you may just tempt me away from my custom edition tharsh monster Tokais, how does it rate against "mainstream" explorer types? my lil bro has an epi explorer which is nice but I always say "ah but my Tokai is better"

eddie h said:
that's a nice looking axe you may just tempt me away from my custom edition tharsh monster Tokais, how does it rate against "mainstream" explorer types? my lil bro has an epi explorer which is nice but I always say "ah but my Tokai is better"

I've only had 2 other explorer type guitars, both high end USA Hamers. I would say the build quality on the Hamers was better, but they also cost 3 - 5 times more than this Greco. I'm actually letting go of one of the Hamers because the Greco meets my needs much better.

The quality and playability of the Greco is on par with some of the other "pointy" guitars that I have played that were Japanese built, and far better than the Korean Epiphones that I have played. I would also say the Greco is as good or better than the production USA Gibsons that I have seen.

Latest posts

Back